Home made kick start for a 3hp Briggs?

Does anybody have any pictures or even a how-to on how I could make a homemade kick start that would work on a 3hp Briggs & Stratton? :shrug: I would prefer if this kick start still used the original shroud. :smile:

there has been talk about it before but no parts made that i know of . the restore kid and i have bounced a few ideas for one . but nothing has been made from them .
one idea was a bike chain and some sprockets and a kick pedal ,sprocket on the spraig clutch and the chain and guide sprockets on a side mount plate . kick the pedal and the chain pulls the motor over . a return spring brings it back up

delray

home made kick start on a briggs has been done before. here is a picture of a member here that built one for his 8hp briggs. looks easy to make:thumbsup:

Beyond a complete new set-up, I might try workink on something using the shroud and get rid of the rope & pully, but still try to use the ballbearing clutch, the 4 point mechanism and maybe adding a roller bearing at the shroud. :smile: BUT THAN AGAIN...If it was that easy......WE WOULD ALL HAVE ONE!!! I will update... :grind:

Beyond a complete new set-up, I might try workink on something using the shroud and get rid of the rope & pully, but still try to use the ballbearing clutch, the 4 point mechanism and maybe adding a roller bearing at the shroud. :smile: BUT THAN AGAIN...If it was that easy......WE WOULD ALL HAVE ONE!!! I will update... :grind:
That's exactly what was done in the picture in post #4 if you look, a lever that slips over the starter clutch attached to the shroud with a custom bracket. I'm going to try one eventually now that I can see how easy it was.:doah:

danc9

It would seem there would need to be some kind of gearing. When you pull start, you are turning the engine over several times on each pull. On a single kick, are you turning over the engine enough! Or, does there need to be some gearing to increase the engine turns V.S. the kick rotation?

DAN

delray

only problem with that style home made kick starter that i would see is that it may spin less then a pull cord setup,so you better make sure your engine is tune right,example carb,timing....etc... or you will be kicking it half dozen times until it will runs on its own or kicking it in a different way..
........:laugh:

Delray, thanks for the pic, thinking back to it now I think I saw that exact same pic on DIY go karts. Yeah it looks so easy to build, just a pedal adapted to the sqare peace on the flywheel hub thing and a return spring. I have a shit load of briggs shrouds so I can afford to make a mistake. Probly wouldn't hurnt to run your enigne a little rich so it starts right off, not? :shrug:

only problem with that style home made kick starter that i would see is that it may spin less then a pull cord setup,so you better make sure your engine is tune right,example carb,timing....etc... or you will be kicking it half dozen times until it will runs on its own or kicking it in a different way..
........:laugh:
I did consider that and you're 100% right, my briggs would fire because they require very little to start but there's always the day it wont for whatever reason. Honestly they are easy enough to start it would be more a novelty than anything.:thumbsup:

I think I'll make a how-to of making a kickstart for a briggs this weekend. I have time, the parts, and I wanted to make a how-to but never have yet. :smile:

did you ever figure out how to make that kick starter???? im wanting to build one for my sons 6.5 predator on his doodle bug....
No, I got all the pieces in a box but haven`t assembled it and tested. Building one for a predator would probably be easier than for a Briggs. Did you see the pic on the 1st page of this thread with the red Briggs with a kick starter, because that would be the best way to do it. :thumbsup: If you need more info PM me and I will try my best to answer your questions. Good luck. :thumbsup: