16 hp baja warrior

i have a slightly modified baja warrior. i lowered the rear fender, i lowered the front fender by welding brackets to the shocks. now im going to put a 16hp engine on it. i seen a kickass engine on overstock.com that looks like it would drop right in. i'm thinking of taking the gas tank off of this engine and installing a battery box there. i'll install a real gastank where the cheapass fake one is! the only thing is, i was going to just use the stock sprocket setup with a 1inch clutch for now. i'm wondering how this clutch will hold up. i will eventually install a tav. this engine is really cheap for what it is,i'm hoping it will work out without alot of mods. also wondering if anyone else has put an engine this big in yet? i might also copy delray's swing arm idea........sorry, but that is awsome. can't wait to see the finished bike. does anyone know about these duromax engines?

Well being that the 16hp motor is gunna have a 1" shaft, its gunna require a new 1" 41chain clutch. Whats the reason behind wanting to put a 16hp on this bike? Are you trying get put on your back? because I can't imagine the take off power it will have, hell the 6.5hp has alot on these bikes.

Also puting that engine on, that engine weighs pretty close to 100lbs, compared to around 35lbs a 6.5 weighs. What I have done to my Baja MB165 is removed the governor(which people recommend geting new flywheel, and billet rod), added a 36t rear sprocket compared to the 50t stock one on the bike. My bike runs around 40-42 top speed, you lose just alittle take off power but gain alot more top end, and I plan to add a TAV to my bike. So that will put me close to 50-55mph.

Imo thats more then enough for these bikes, So if I was you I would just think about doing what i did for alittle more speed, and spend that money that you are gunna put in that 16hp motor, and buy a TAV, and remove governor, and buy parts listed above.

there is 7 of us in my subdivision with these things. it's like a mini bike biker gang:punk: gives us something to do in the winter. i'm a pretty big guy, don't think i'll get thrown. it should be cool though. i have to get some current pics up. i have a $500.00 paint job on it now. i know i know it's only a mini bike LOL.............but its cool!

vette66_00

there is 7 of us in my subdivision with these things. it's like a mini bike biker gang:punk: gives us something to do in the winter. i'm a pretty big guy, don't think i'll get thrown. it should be cool though. i have to get some current pics up. i have a $500.00 paint job on it now. i know i know it's only a mini bike LOL.............but its cool!
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!! :lol:

Hehe.. Well mine gets a once a year personal paint job. Because i bring my to the race track alot to get around on, so keeping a paint job from geting messed up, is pretty much impossible. As for puting that 16hp motor on, and adding a TAV. I can pretty much put money on it, that it will pull the front wheel off the ground with the stock rear sprocket.

I gain 10-12mph top end just from changing my rear sprocket to a 36t. I loss alittle take off, but still has more then enough. I know awhile back I thought about puting a 13hp on mine, but like the guys said, these motors weigh 2/3 times as much as the 6.5. You would be better off doing mods to the 6.5. But i'm not here to try and change your mind.

Last edited:
the guy that painted ALL of our bikes paints cars for a living. he did it out of his garage. i already dinged it up but it still looks cool. not worried about dinging it up, especially since he didn't chargr none of us to paint them

Mr Ed

Go for it, more power is better, even more is even better. What better chassis to use, the warrior/heat doesn't need engine mounting slots because of the tensioner between the clutch and the jackshaft and also has rear wheel adjusters to set chain tension. The dummy tank would have to be replaced with a tank that will hold fuel. I'd get the most number of teeth possible on the clutch to improve control at launch. I just don't know if the jackshaft will bolt to the 16 hp engine side cover as on the 6.5.

It's your bike so do what you want! But IMO that engine is too heavy, a modded 6.5 can near that hp number! Your money could be better spent modifying a 6.5 and with a TAV it would give you a good balance of power and torque!

I put a real tank on mine, also had frame stretched and custom chopper seat with shocks. I have a modded 6.5 clone with billet conrod and flywheel, flat top piston, .275 cam, modified stock appearing carb, and some other things done and this baby moves pretty good.
View attachment 32458

Whats the reason behind wanting to put a 16hp on this bike? Are you trying get put on your back? because I can't imagine the take off power it will have, hell the 6.5hp has alot on these bikes.
Jeez, doesn't anybody read hot rod magizine? You can never have too much power. The more ridiculously over powered your setup is the better. :thumbsup:

I get a kick out of all the comments about how they can make as much hp with a 6.5 and some mods,I guess the never rode one with a big block on one. even stock it's hard to beat the low end of a big motor.

I like the Idea and am thinking I would go that way my self, but you're waymore ambitious than me. I was thinking 9 HP. I'm getting 43 mph stock with a split straight pipe, TC and 12T on the jackshaft drive and my fat backside is 210lb. But the Baja flu is the only desease I know that makes you feel good, so I vote go for it.
outdoorguy

Is it harder to find parts for these motors, such as con rods, cams, etc.? I think a v twin type of these type engines would be incredible, anyone know of these motors? I have seen a picture of one once. It looked older I dont remember the brand.

Is it harder to find parts for these motors, such as con rods, cams, etc.? I think a v twin type of these type engines would be incredible, anyone know of these motors? I have seen a picture of one once. It looked older I dont remember the brand.
no, GX 390 is heavily supported.