The “Rare” CAT Twister Trike

You could machine a groove and use a snap ring on the end

axle is flush or below flush....I would prefer to run it as wide as I can which puts the axle about 1/2" below flush.... :shrug:

how about two inside and out with a spacer on the inside. Still doesn't solve the wheel spinning on the axle when power is applied, but it would take alot of stress off the set screw.
The axle and hub are keyed the full length of the hub (about 5") so the key is caryying the load...the set screws are 90 degrees from the key...the funny thing is when we were building it if I snugged up a set screw you couldn't budge that wheel with sledgehammer...

there are eccentric locking collars which engage an eccentric hub on the bearing casettes....these lock the axle from moving left to right and they are very strong as per Steve Durhams reccomendation...I wish I had something similar for the wheels...

Last edited:

Ratbike

A job well done!!!:thumbsup:I have drilled small pits in axles and jackshafts in the past as well as locktight blue for the set screws and that worked fine for me.:shrug: GREAT WORK!!!:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
Well, it's kinda late for this suggestion (I haven't been following this great build for some reason) But you could modify a taper lock or a Q/D sprocket to use for wheel flanges, those don't move once they have been tightened down! And, you can run them out flush with the end of the axles too.

My buddy George the welding instructor over at the Vo-tech asked if we'd bring the trike over tonite to show his current class since it's the last session before summer break....got to see some of the guys we knew and show off the finished product...my kid fired it up and drove it into the classroom I thought somebody would call security :lol:

exactly one year from this:

to this:

Ha!! ...it barely fit on our home made kart hauler.:doah:...luckily it will be tucked safely away inside the Suburban for the trip to Windber...:wink:

check out those AWESOME new water transfer decals....:cool:

Last edited:
My Jaw hittith the floor - the OCC entry must have been awesome, did you have to make a speach?:laugh:

Got more pics of the Mini Hauler , would work great on my Ford

Got more pics of the Mini Hauler , would work great on my Ford

I got some pics of it hauling the race kart....when we were welding it together my smart a$$ friends were all standing aroung snickering that it would never work.....then they shut up when they saw how sturdy it was....the secret is the ramp that lays across the back bumper takes all the flex out of it and the cantilever hitch bar transfers a good portion of the load to it......with the roller skate wheels I can drop it down and wheel it in the garage by myslelf....beats pulling a trailer and the barn doors still open as normal:thumbsup:

Last edited:
The California Posse'

Guardrail Dave, Evil and Sheby28

All I can say is it wouldn't have been the same without these characters!!

I hope they can come back next year and every year after that.....:thumbsup:

....where's MBP??:shrug:

Camp KK

The "Trailer Queen" Twister Trike saw plenty of action and I'm proud to say it ran flawlessly....even got some road rash and it's first rock chip but it was worth it and worth every minute of the year-long build to see my kid riding it in the parade....it even survived a test ride by SC Jake!!!!

buckeye

This is one of the best build threads on this forum.
The accuracy and attention to detail is incredible.

And that custom Imich paint.:pimp:

Thanks for bumping this thread...I was just sitting here thinking about Wayne and Randy Keller and there's Randy sitting next to Camp Peekster behind the Super Bronc...man we had a lot of laughs that weekend most of them at my expense.
There's my son parking the old Rupp between rides. There's my old Suburban that's in the junkyard now..along with the mini bike rack I built for the back. We went a lot of places and had a lot of good times with that truck.

Chatten and Delray on the other side of us with a trailer full of cool stuff from Wisconsin. The Cali boys were there!!...There's the MTD that threw me off much to the delight of the Squarechopper gang out of Fla. who had a front row seat for the spectacle.

The Twister Trike had barely been fired after building it and my kid ran the whole Windber parade route and it didn't miss a beat.

The weather was beautiful...that may have been the greatest Windber ever.

I wish I could turn back the clock and we were all there again .

The weather was beautiful...that may have been the greatest Windber ever.

I wish I could turn back the clock and we were all there again .
I'd have to agree with you Gerry, that was probably my favorite Windber thus far. Hopefully we'll have another with perfect weather next year and a lot of the guys that didn't make the trip this year come again.

Super nice workmanship, sticktoitiveness and end result. I love creative problem solving done well. Teamwork was spot on. Thanks for the build log step by step. Be cool, freezerburn

Well I haven't bumped this thread in almost a year but I actually have an update for it 4 years after we built it. The exhaust had stumped me early on...Peekster had suggested one of the Taylor slash cut mufflers but the problem was none of them fit properly or pointed in the right direction when bolted to the HS40. We ended up making a custom made pipe by cutting the bend out of a set of old CAT handlebars...

It served the purpose at the time but the whole concept behind the build was to make it all look factory. Everytime I walked past the bike and saw that pipe it bugged me so I finally decided to re-visit the Taylor pipe idea.

I found a nice NOS chrome (Model 200 ?) pipe, it may have even been a Briggs pipe I forget. Cut it off flush with the flange, then enlarged the flange slightly so the pipe slipped back inside. Then I rotated the pipe to point the direction I wanted it and tacked it in a couple places...and got my buddy to tig weld it so the mod is solid and virtually invisible.

I think it looks a lot better..or at least a lot more "factory"...so now it won't bug me anymore...I'm finally calling this one done.

I hate to admit it, but Peekster was right all along....:glare: