c.1970 Ding How, Taiwan Mini-Bike: Information, Specifications, & Restoration Project

Way to go Moto-Bunny :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

LOL.... oh man that is too cool!! :thumbsup: I have a logo now if I ever open up a speed shop! :laugh:

thanks for the kind words guys, this is one fun little mini and I just can't stop from tinkering with it so more updates soon, I'm sure...

george3

I just picked up a ding how last night. I could use a couple parts. Brake assembly, return spring on the brake lever. and a bit of info would be good.

markus

ive got one of those in my dust filled collection :thumbsup:

I just picked up a ding how last night. I could use a couple parts. Brake assembly, return spring on the brake lever. and a bit of info would be good.
George, look at the older z50 assy, other than maybe having to drill the axle size out it should be a match to that drum, even the brake arm would match

one the left is OEM honda (black), the right is a NOS victor Top is a Rong shin which is off a powerdyne with the same style wheel hub...only not as wide.

they all use the same brake shoes, sometimes marked ask or agk. Judging by your pics an actual z50 plate and brake arm would be right on for spacing ect... which incidentally is the same pads that 1969-70 rupps used, so the guys on ebay that sell them for $45 are just selling you a $10-15 set of honda replacement shoes :smile:

george3

Mac has a junk box of odd and ends brake assemblys. If I knew the name on the oem assembly I might find it there or something that will work, but rather have oem if possable. I still will need the correct brake arm return spring. I think it called a torsion spring. I had it for a few days and done nothing but pulling off the koller K91 off it and preped a much lighter 3.5 paper filter Briggs. You know the ones with that nice no adjustable jetting, and run like crap, lol. Not anymore, purrs like a kitten reves like a tiger.

george3

Ordered a neat clutch / chain guard from OldMiniBikes warehouse on eBay last night (after viewing the grisly leg injury post from running a mini without one!) ....looked like the best option as I had already seen a Ding How with this type on it and it looked original.

Here is the guard (Bonanza style replica):

Here is the eBay auction link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonanza-Vintage-Mini-Bike-Chrome-Clutch-Cover-/170683348120?

Here is the OldMiniBikes link:

http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Bonanza-Clutch-Cover-Chrome.html

Here is a picture of a Ding How / Nova S-S I found that is using this type guard. Looks good, as if stock (I don't know yet if the Ding How or Nova came with a guard or not originally nor what it might have looked like):

DING HOW! :thumbsup:
That last pic looks really good. bike looks ok too, lol. Has that nice unmolested look.

That last pic looks really good. bike looks ok too, lol. Has that nice unmolested look.
Yeah, of all my research that is pretty much the best example of a unmessed with Ding How.

You probably already found it by searching around but here is my compilation gallery of all the Ding-How / Nova Products minis like ours I have found:

DING HOW / NOVA SS & RS MINI BIKES GALLERY - Old Mini Bikes Photo Gallery

Here is the nicest examples of stock D-H / Novas I have found, pretty much all the S-S model though unfortunately.

Note the serial number tag below the axle bolt, does yours still have it? Mine does, but barely....worried it might fall off! lol

Here is the only pretty nice example of a red Ding How / Nova R-S model with the H35, (other than mine :wink: ) that I have found. They seem to be not a common as the H50 sporting S-S models.

Also, this is the only one I have see that looks mostly original but doesn't have the oh-so-kewl Ding How steel tank-not sure if it was an option or was just missing on this particular bike?

Also, here are the correct decals, if you want it to have the Nova R-S look. We should re-pop these! I can't get anyone to take a high-res of these though, sure would make things easier! :doah:

DING HOW! george3 :thumbsup:

george3

Thats an odd brake assembly. seems it has no built in spacer on the inside. Your brake shaft spring is that added or oem? I need that also.

Here is what my brake set up looks like, this is when I first got the D-H and it is much cleaner now and doesn't have the stripped axle nut or bent adjuster anymore! (plus a Tec H35 instead of the Briggs 2HP here) Also re-posted that other one for comparison :thumbsup:

george3

I wonder what else used that brake assembly. I also need that torsion spring. is it flat on the inside? No spacer at all? Mine has the Ding How tires also.

Brake System Super-Closeup Pictures!

Here are some super close-ups I just took out in the shop! Mind you, I have changed the hardware up a tad since that much older picture (like a new axle nut (lug nut) as well as a flange nut on the adjuster instead of a regular one. I think that was it for these components though, everything else is original.

Also, that spring on the adjuster rod is just a regular spring with round wire and it was original, best I can tell.

I might be able to get you some internal pictures, if need be, as I am going to have to put in a new tube soon and plan on checking out the brake system too while it's out. :thumbsup:

george3

Here are some super close-ups I just took out in the shop! Mind you, I have changed the hardware up a tad since that much older picture (like a new axle nut (lug nut) as well as a flange nut on the adjuster instead of a regular one. I think that was it for these components though, everything else is original.

Also, that spring on the adjuster rod is just a regular spring with round wire and it was original, best I can tell.

I might be able to get you some internal pictures, if need be, as I am going to have to put in a new tube soon and plan on checking out the brake system too while it's out. :thumbsup:
I never seen that drum before. I see no name on it. Your sprocket is much closer to the tire than mine. the width of the back on mine is much wider.

I was about to post that I was wondering if your set up was a user mod and then I just found this D-H / Nova picture...

You can see it has the sprocket farther out too, totally unlike my bike and that other blue S-S with the brake photo.

Looks like there are at least two different rear brake setups to be found on these minis? :confused:

george3

See, the rear end is much wider. Looks kind of weard like that. you can add a 4" wider wheel and a real wide tire. It would look much better.

See, the rear end is much wider. Looks kind of weard like that. you can add a 4" wider wheel and a real wide tire. It would look much better.
No doubt, you could fit a big ole' tire in there....Ding How drag bike? :thumbsup:

I wonder why they had the two different setups? maybe an earlier and later approach?

What is the serial number on your frame tag? Mine is "001747" best I can tell.