Early 69 El-Tigre (Non Bird)

Dose everyone know why they phased out the Briggs and went to tecs? If you really know the answer just respond yes. I would like to see what peoples guesses are!
This could be fun. My guess is only a handful know why???????? But I could be wrong......
Hint, It was all distributors, not just Penny's........

I beleive the year was 1969...because_____________. I'll let Randy fill in the blank when he's ready

1stlegendtx

There's a local guy that has one and it was the kids favorite, I was worried about the rear being sloppy since it's just shocks. You could do a bolt on chain roller if theres any problems. :thumbsup:
Yea, I don't think this is one for larger kids. That's why I had my youngest be the test rider he weighs 135lbs. I had already bought a chain roller just in case. If you have or could get a picture of the local guys bike I would like to see it.:thumbsup:

Yea, I don't think this is one for larger kids. That's why I had my youngest be the test rider he weighs 135lbs. I had already bought a chain roller just in case. If you have or could get a picture of the local guys bike I would like to see it.:thumbsup:
Don't have a pic, It was all painted and well used.

American Maverick II

This is my 1969 JCPenney El-Tigre. They only sold this version of the El-Tigre for half a year than changed suppliers (switched to Bird) in late 69. As you can see in the pictures it has some things wrong with it. I am struggling with weather its better to leave it original or do things like paint the engine recover the seat etc. So far all I have done is replace the clutch brake and guard and replace the pipe extension (new chain to). Everything else is original. So should I leave it as is or what ? Thanks
I found one of these in Vancouver, Washington and bought it because it came with a spare set of 6 inch Go-Power wheels. The mini bike is a sad rendition of what you have. I was impressed with the fact that the manufacture had two brakes on the mini A scrub and clutch band brake. Well my mini fell victim to a small fry with a can of silver paint and very poor aim. But for $60.00 and the Go Powers the space it takes up is OK. There is pictures in my photo section of this mini .
Steve :scooter:

1stlegendtx

I found one of these in Vancouver, Washington and bought it because it came with a spare set of 6 inch Go-Power wheels. The mini bike is a sad rendition of what you have. I was impressed with the fact that the manufacture had two brakes on the mini A scrub and clutch band brake. Well my mini fell victim to a small fry with a can of silver paint and very poor aim. But for $60.00 and the Go Powers the space it takes up is OK. There is pictures in my photo section of this mini .
Steve :scooter:
You should try some paint stripper on that frame the chrome should still be there. Who knows it might be nice. Thanks:thumbsup:

That was my first minibike. Or the other model that looks just like it. My bike had a Briggs & it only had a scrub brake. There wasn't any levers on the bars. It was a real good looking bike with all that chrome, but it was a chain tossin' sumbitch. That little spoiler section molded into the seat, didn't help much when you were pushing it home. I think that bike was the first machine that really taught me how to :censure:

I wish I still had it though.

I assembled these bikes in 1969 at American Alum and Steel on San Fernando Road in Cypress Park CA.. Each assembler built three at a time ther were about 10 of us we each had a rack that held 3 frames, went to the engine room got three engines on a cart installed on frames, went to the wheel bin got 3 front 3 rear, We had girls who assebled the wheels and filled the bins. Routed brake and thr cables attached wheels, fenders ect and test rode each one on a track in back of the shop. A ton of fun. It was my first job. From there when we stoped production I went to work for Taco Mini Bike welding frames in El Monte Ca. I still ride. I Own and ride a 2015 BMW F800 GSA and a 2009 Triumph Bonniville. When I built these bikes in 1969 I rode a Honda super 90 to work from Highland Park and raced Hodaka Ace 100 bikes flat track and endro

buckeye

Whoa!!!!

That is a great story and history.

We would love to here more.
Please formally introduce yourself in the introduction section and tell us some more stories.
Popcorn poppin.
Thanks for joining.

I worked at Americn Aluminum and Steel for about a year, 1968 - 1969 all engines while I was there were B&S. My 2nd week on the job one of the owners came in to the assembly area and asked "who here speeks english?" They paid min wage $1.35 an hour most everyone in the place spoke only spanash, I don't but growing up in the area I knew enough to get by. When I said I do the owner said good your our new lead-man. I got a rase to $1.65 an hour. Our contract was with JC penny it was the only place I knew of that sold the bikes. I married one of the girls that assembled the wheels, we had 2 kids together before we broke apart with me taking custody of my 2 girls who both love to ride motorcyces even tooay in their 40s. Looking back it was the best job I ever had (and I have had a lot) building and test riding mini bikes all day. Money was tight but things cost a lot less those days, my rent for a furnished apt for me and my wife was $70 a month. One of the owners or busness partners was the race car driver Mario Andretti I am not sure of the connection, when he won Indy 500 in 1969 we had a giant party, we all got a $50 bonus. The owners were all race car and motorcycle guys, some weekends we would pile a bunch of the bikes in the back of a truck and spend the weekend at Willow Springs racetrack riding in the dirt all day and sneeking the bikes onto the track after dark, Reckless and real fun.
I was one of the last to be there when we shut down, It was a real pain most everyone was let go. Me and one other guy were kept on to take inventory, we counted every nut and bolt. I think AA&S lost the JC Penny contract and all the inventory and work in progress was sent to the new builders. I never knew who they were, The mood around the shop was grim and none of the owners taked much about it. They got me my next job for Taco Mini, There was a connection between the two AA&S and Taco but I don't know the details. The bikes sure look the same! Taco was the premium brand and I learnd on the job welding frames. It was one of the worst jobs I had. No riding it was just a frame shop I started just setting up the bent tubes in the jigs and the welder would come along and make the welds then I would remove the welded frame from the jig and set it up with new tubbing. It was some time before they let me weld. I wore a full set of welding lethers and mask but I still came home each day with arc flashed eyes (feels like sand in your eyes) and burns on my body where hot steel got under the lether. You asked for more stories.

buckeye

Wow, thank you sir.
Must of been amazing to have been part of this coutry's two wheeled history!

There is a guy on here, Steve Durham, who was part of that scene out your way.
He has posted old pictures of that same track you mention, I think.

By chance, you have any old photos.

And more stories would be fine too.
Alot of folks will miss what you have posted due to the age of the original thread.
Would really be neat for all eho love this stuff to catch this history.