2 Sperry Rand Tricubs - restoration project thread

I have started working on the 2 Tricubs that I acquired last year. These were both originally 8hp/elec start units (model 38E), which seem to be considerably scarcer than the 5hp version. The first unit (unit A for this thread) is pretty nice, unmolested body and frame, but no engine. I have a proper, period-correct Briggs 190407 with elec start from garden tractor that I intend to use for this one. I'll need to change some of the trim on this engine to match the original Tricub configuration.

Unit B has lived a hard life, but still has original engine and most of the original wiring harness. Engine will need complete rebuild and body needs a lot of TLC. The frame is solid and straight, but I had to fabricate a new battery box. Nicer units than this have ended up in landfills around the country.

I'm currently working on disassembly of unit B with eye toward photo documenting all original items. Goal for next 30 days is to have both units stripped down to bare frames, repairs made, then off to the powder-coater.

There is no deadline or timeframe for these projects, so updates will be spotty. I hope to get both back to restored rollers, pretty much simultaneously. Once the engine and body work starts, the respective schedules will likely take independent paths.

This is my starting point...

Unit B on left, Unit A on right

That Tri Cub is kewl! I wish I could find more of trikes like that here in Maryland.

Shawn
Keep looking, man. MD has been pretty fertile Sperry trike grounds for me. I got a Tricart in Westminster a couple of years ago. This one ranks #2 for me in all-time original condition of Tricarts that I have witnessed. I also found my Minicub way down in Lusby, MD... #1 in Sperry trike rarity. I've passed on a few in MD too, so they are out there.

Keep looking, man. MD has been pretty fertile Sperry trike grounds for me. I got a Tricart in Westminster a couple of years ago. This one ranks #2 for me in all-time original condition of Tricarts that I have witnessed. I also found my Minicub way down in Lusby, MD... #1 in Sperry trike rarity. I've passed on a few in MD too, so they are out there.
Thanks for the reply wildman. I'm not giving up the search just yet.
It's funny that you mentioned Lusby, I used to work in Lusby. I live about 30 minutes south east from there over in the next county.

Shawn

Last edited:
I made some progress with the disassembly of Unit B, but this one has been fighting back. The body, wire harness and engine came off without any problems. The rear axle and jackshaft required a little bit of heat and flame removal of a couple of the bearing collars, but nothing too unusual. The front axle assembly has proven to be a formidable challenge. More in next post.

Homemade battery box for garden tractor type battery... off.

Body off.

Engine and wiring off.

Banged up original battery box cut off.

Both main frames are about ready for powdercoat. Unit A frame still has non-original engine mounting angles welded onto the original mounts. These would've been gone, but ran out of ox in my torch set. Half the time spent on most restorations is undoing the fine handiwork of a previous owner.

I am a little behind my goal of having these frames at at the powdercoater by now, but I still have some work to do on both forks. More on this progress to follow.

Glad to see the restorations continue. Have you decided on any colors for the frames and bodies yet? Or are you going with factory black frames and yellow bodies?

Shawn

Glad to see the restorations continue. Have you decided on any colors for the frames and bodies yet? Or are you going with factory black frames and yellow bodies?

Shawn
As stock as I can reasonably make them... black frames, lime green bodies. There's not enough of these things being restored or preserved, so I might as well be that guy.

Awesome tri cubs man! I have 8 trikes and 1 is a tri cub. Got it as a "basket case" here's a pic of when I got it. Made some progress bolting together but not too much, no pics yet. Still tryn on/off to make a list of what's missing, any help on what Should be there would be awesome. People ask if I'll ever get em done considering I work like 70 hr weeks, but ehh I'll get the time somewhere it'll jus be a slower process. But look forward to checking on the progress!

Ok so guess I don't have a pic uploaded yet will get on it

Awesome tri cubs man! I have 8 trikes and 1 is a tri cub. Got it as a "basket case" here's a pic of when I got it. Made some progress bolting together but not too much, no pics yet. Still tryn on/off to make a list of what's missing, any help on what Should be there would be awesome. People ask if I'll ever get em done considering I work like 70 hr weeks, but ehh I'll get the time somewhere it'll jus be a slower process. But look forward to checking on the progress!

Ok so guess I don't have a pic uploaded yet will get on it
Capt... Didn't I send you a pdf file of Tricub parts book some months ago? This should be helpful in determining your parts list. Don't worry about the timeline of these projects, unless you're getting paid for it. Doing the job properly is better than doing it fast.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the unit B front fork was stubborn to come apart. First, the main fork bolt (steering pivot) was frozen, but finally did succumb to heat and large impact wrench. Then the axle shaft was also completely frozen and never budged after multiple overnite soakings with PB Blaster, heat and hyd press. I’d never seen any this stuck before. I decided to sacrifice the axle support tubes/footrests, by cutting them off and fabricating new ones.

Axle tubes cut off.

New tubes fixtured for welding

The unit A front fork was not pure either. It came apart ok, but the axle shaft was made from a piece of ¾” threaded rod and 2 lock nuts. After disassembly, I noticed that one of the axle tubes looked like it had been slit along the full length and rewelded. Since I had the material and was set-up for welding, I went ahead and replaced this tube also.

I can probably save the axle shaft from unit B, but I will probably just make 2 new ones. There’s not much to them… basic ¾” shaft with washer welded on one end and drilled/tapped hole for 5/16” bolt in the other.