1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
I have a pdf copy of the 1974 trisport owners manual but not the service manual. If you want I could email it to you.

Trent
Thanks Trent that would be awesome. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.
Also, Mark Saxon was nice enough to send me a copy of the Parts manual for the SL and I will post it for anyone who would like to have a copy.

Shawn

Well I tried to upload the parts manual but I got an error saying it was over the file size limit. If anyone knows a way around this, please let me know. It's only 2.3mb!

Shawn

wjustice

Glad you're ok with those tornados. We got hit with a "macro burst". It about leveled a whole county. It was a bit north of me but my family hasn't had power since tuesday. Where i grew up, there are 14 home that are unlivable and 2800 tree estimated to be down. All this and our governor announcing his bid for president and won't even come see the area. His "Jersey Strong" motto is only for the beaches and up north.

Glad you're ok with those tornados. We got hit with a "macro burst". It about leveled a whole county. It was a bit north of me but my family hasn't had power since tuesday. Where i grew up, there are 14 home that are unlivable and 2800 tree estimated to be down.
Thanks Justice. We got lucky and made it though the storm unscathed. Unfortunately, there were several homes lost and countless people without power in my county.
All this and our governor announcing his bid for president and won't even come see the area. His "Jersey Strong" motto is only for the beaches and up north.
It doesn't surprise me. Back around 03, my parents got hit by hurricane Isabel and their house and vehicle along with others were flooded and damaged and without power for almost a week! The Governor and Congressman acted like they were concerned but didn't want to anything to help. Luckily for my parents and other residents, FEMA stepped up and helped out.

Shawn

Last edited:
I got my throttle done.

Hello all,
I was finally able to get a break from the rain and get some work done on the trike today!

I readjusted the handle bars more forward as they were too laid back and I got the throttle done! My plan actually worked like a charm. Here's what I did, I got an SPI Throttle Extension kit, (which is the exact same thing as the PowerMadd version that Dennis Kirk sells but about 8 - 10 bucks cheaper.) A new 100" universal throttle cable with both a barrel and ball end, (The cable came bundled with a new twist throttle and grips) and some swivel stops from Fee Bay and some socket set screws from Home Depot.

The first thing I did was, I had to cut the barrel end off of the throttle cable and I had to shave the ball end down to fit the slider block in the extension kit.
Now for the throttle extension kit. It comes with a short extension cable with ferrule ends that accept small C-clips to hold the cable in place, so I cut the cable and heated the ferrules and easily pulled them off so I could attach one of them to the cable housing after cutting the old ferrule off and cutting the cable and housing to proper length. The housing is smaller than the ferrule from the extension kit but some JB Kwik fixed that. The pictures show mock up before trimming the cable, housing and JB Welding the ferrule on. I included some pics as well as video of how the extension kits works, along with some links to needed parts in case anyone needs to make a throttle cable after installing a Mikuni VM conversion kit.

Links- Swivel Stops,
6 Wire Stop with Swivel Universal Throttle Brake Cable Mini Bike | eBay

Throttle Extension Kit, (I used the SPI brand as it was 10 bucks cheaper than the PowerMadd version!)
SPI Throttle Extension Kit | eBay

Set Screws,
Crown Bolt #8-32 x 3/16 in. Stainless-Steel Socket Set Screws (2-Pieces)-73148 - The Home Depot

Here is a Twist Throttle Assy w/ 100 inch cable,
Deluxe Twist Grips 7 8" 100" Throttle Cable Mini Bike Minibike Chopper Part | eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO1FHuPTDPM
I hope I have not confused anyone,

Shawn

Attachments

Last edited:
Quick update, I found a new set of brake pads that will be here tomorrow and my uncle finished fabricating my fuel tank and pump mount which I will be picking up on Thursday. I'll post pics once the tank and pump are mounted. Now I just need a day off work and some good weather to service the diff and install the brakes. I'm hoping for this weekend!

Shawn

Looks like I may have some spare parts for sale is anyone is interested. I have a Salisbury Drive clutch that needs work, (has corrosion) a luggage rack with the tail light assembly less lens, the original wiring harness, lights w/o lenses, horn and hub caps.

I'll post pics in the for sale section as soon as I get a chance.

Shawn

wjustice

The chain idler was an add on. A factory fix. There was a pdf floating around. If you cant find it i may have it but i need to get to my home computer.

Shawn, if you'll send pics of the hubcaps and the clutch to simplearkansan@att.net I may take them off your hands.:thumbsup:
You got it. I'll try and take some pics this evening and send them but may have to be tomorrow. Although today is Thursday, it has been a Monday! I run my own I.T. biz and every computer I touched today has led to one problem after another and to top it off, my Uncle had to go to an out of town event to repair a golf cart so I won't be able to pick up my fuel tank and pump mounting brackets until Saturday as he lives and works a little over an hour away.

Shawn

Axle Bearing Question.

Hello all, I have another question, Outcry gave me two brand new 1" inch bore bearings with the other parts and pieces and I was wondering if they will work as direct replacements for axle bearings? Or do I need the eccentric lock type even though the old bearings have two, 3 bolt mounting plates per side?
The reason I ask is, I'd like to use them as spares in case I need to either cut them off or over heat them to remove them in order to drop the diff assy.

Thanks,
Shawn

Attachments

Well today just keeps getting better and better LOL! I rolled the trike out of my shed to get to the parts so I could take pics and I noticed the heat and humidity caused the paint and decals on the seat to bubble up! :censure: I tried to take pics of the bubbled paint and decals but the pics didn't turn out for some reason. Luckily Outcry is sending me the graphic files that I can use to have new decals cut for after I sand it down and re-spray it. I have plans to repaint the frame after the riding season anyway, so I'll repaint the seat at the same time.

Shawn