1974 Alsport Trisport RTS 340 SL Restore / Rebuild thread

Rebuild the walbro or get a different carb

• Total voters
If you have to just cut them off. You can get new ones fairly cheap at tractor supply
I thought about it but I don't want to put any more money into it than I have to. Not only that but there is no room to get a cut wheel close enough to get a good cut. The brake discs take up precious working space and the disc mounting hubs wont budge either. lol

Shawn

Anyone want to buy an RTS? The diff refuses to come out!:censure:
I split the diff case but it still won't clear the mounting plates and there is absolutely no room to cut away some of the mounting brackets to clear the diff case ends! I don't know what else to do. Cutting the bearings or any other important parts is not an option as I refuse to sink anymore money into it.

Shawn

Last edited:
Can you pull the clip off the axle and remove the cases. You probably need to remove the discs and hubs.
I thought about trying to remove the C-clips but there's not enough room to get the C-clip tool in the case. And as for removing the brake discs, I may be able to remove one side but my puller won't work on such a small hub. So what I'm gonna do is take it back to my uncles shop and try using his Oxy. Acetylene cutting torch to cut a relief in the mounting plates.

Thanks, :)
Shawn

This trike has been nothing but 1 step forward and 4 steps back! This is the first and last time I will ever buy something based on pictures and a description without looking it over really good first! Just as suspected, the axles are 1" all the way through with splines instead of flats! So now I'm stuck with a useless diff. :censure: Unless someone here has a good useable diff housing for dirt cheap or will trade for the new one, I'm done with it! The first $650.00 takes it if anyone is interested.
Now I know why Outcry sold it.
It has a great running JLO 440 with a brand new Mikuni VM conversion, a good TAV system, new rear wheels and tires and throttle assembly etc....... So I'm taking a big loss!
Shawn

Last edited:
I think I figured out why the diff case broke. Looks like either the factory messed up when putting it together or the original owner replaced the bearing on the sprocket side and didn't use one one with a locking collar as the old bearing just slid right off which most likely caused the the axle to slide enough under riding load to break the diff case on that side. At least that's what I'm thinking.

Shawn

wjustice

That and the fact the peerless diffs are only rated for 10hp and the factory engine was 28hp. The offroad version used the holton diff. Bigger and stronger. Th peerless was used on the SL models that saw way less torque loading the the offroad models.

wjustice

Ok so the cut the axle on the new diff to the same length as the old ones. Then all you need is keyways for the brakes and a pocket for the ujoint set screws and you're good to go. Right?

Ok so the cut the axle on the new diff to the same length as the old ones. Then all you need is keyways for the brakes and a pocket for the ujoint set screws and you're good to go. Right?
Yeah it can be done but the only machine shop that is local charges $125.00 an hour which is way more than I want to put into this thing.

Shawn

That and the fact the peerless diffs are only rated for 10hp and the factory engine was 28hp. The offroad version used the holton diff. Bigger and stronger. Th peerless was used on the SL models that saw way less torque loading the the offroad models.
Thanks for the reply. You know have me thinking that the new diff and axles would be rated for even less h.p. Since they step down from one inch to 7/8 inch at diff housing. So it may not even be worth cutting them down.
I'd look for a Holton diff but from what I hear, they are hard to find and way too expensive.
I may just list it on fee bay and Craigs List if it doesn't sell here.

Shawn

Last edited:
I just found out that none of the machine shops that I talked to can cut axles and new key way slots as "the metal is too hard for their lathes".
I asked what other options I might have and they to send them to someone like Strange Engineering or anyone that makes axles.

Shawn

I wouldn't worry about the axles stepping down. Even my RTS with a holton has axles that step down to 7/8.
Hey Justice, Thanks for the heads up on the diff.
If I can figure out a way to have the axles cut down and new key way slots made, I'll use it. I'm also taking the the old diff case half to a local industrial welding shop to see if it can be welded back together.

Here are a couple pics of the old case half.

Shawn

Attachments

Okay so I may be making some progress here. I was given the contact info to an old school machinist who say's he "might" be able to shorten the axles and cut new key ways. He said it depends on how hard the axle material is. He also said that he can only do the regular square type key way slots and not the half moon pockets like the stock axles have. Will a standard key slot work or does it have to have the pockets for the half moon keys?

Shawn

Last edited:

wjustice

Your local machines shops just dont want to do the work. The axles are not that hard. Ine of mine was slightly bent and we straightened it in a press. If they were that hard, you wouldnt be able to straighten them. You can cut them short with a grinder and cutoff wheel. A regular square cut keyway should be fine.

Your local machines shops just dont want to do the work. The axles are not that hard. Ine of mine was slightly bent and we straightened it in a press. If they were that hard, you wouldnt be able to straighten them. You can cut them short with a grinder and cutoff wheel. A regular square cut keyway should be fine.
I stopped by the machine shop this morning and the guy said it's not so much a problem with shortening the axles as it is cutting the key way slots. He said if the metal is too hard, it will wear out or it can break the cutting bit on the lathe. I asked him how much it would cost and he quoted me 4 hrs. labor at $240.00 if he has to remove the bearing collars and rotors from the old axles or a little over 2 hrs. at $150.00 if I bring just the axles with the measurements already marked out. I can buy new case halves, snap rings, and center diff pin for that price. So I'm gonna try plan B which is having my uncle try to weld the broken case half back together. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on that. If he can weld it back together, I'll just reuse my old axles and replace the center diff pin as the old one has some wear and order new snap rings as the old ones just stretched open when I tried to remove them with my snap ring pliers. I'll post an update once I hear from my uncle.

Shawn