Recent content by acjohn

1. acjohn

Is this Rupp seat pan salvageable?

Man, I thought up here in the northeast rust was bad. Frames for these are fairly common. I would buy a cobbed bike cheap from marketplace or eBay. The amount of welding required to replace it or fix it would involve far more time than the frame itself is worth.
  2. acjohn

1970 Speedway Scorpion rehab update

Since the belt I used is a "touch tight" as I mentioned, my guess the original belt was probably 5/8 x 24.25". I have seen 24.5" belts, but quarter inch increments in belt terms is actually quite a bit of distance.
  3. acjohn

I bought this bike about 20+ years ago off of eBay for $400. I drove from Syracuse, NY to Kannapolis, NC to pick it up. The wife and I made a weekend out of it. Aside from the speeding ticket in NC, it was a great weekend. Now that I look at the prices of these older bikes in original condition...
  4. acjohn

I have been keeping my eyes out for a 72 - 73 model that is in decent restorable condition. The few that I have seen are trashed, rusted and missing 90% of the parts.
  5. acjohn

After a few months of mechanical rebuilding starting from the bare frame, it is 99% done. The toughest part was finding a correct belt, cleaning the clutch sheaves and replacing the driven clutch/chain sprocket jackshaft. I have an nos Speedway belt that I measured at work using a belt measuring...
  6. acjohn

Opinion, Paint this Rupp or leave it....

I think it looks great as it is. I use kerosene or diesel fuel and a rag to remove dirt/grime. It cleans nice and leaves a shine. Pressure washing blows off too much paint/decals. You can always repaint it at a later date if you want, but you can't go back once the original paint is off. I have...
  7. acjohn

1970 Speedway Scorpion project update

Disassembled my Speedway project and have a couple of interesting observations. They used plastic bushings on steering head instead of ball bearings like on Rupp, etc. Exhaust is 2-piece with slip-on end. "S" pipe with welded on 7-hole muffler. Gas tank strap in not removable unless you...
  8. acjohn

HS40 convert to lighted

Either way, you do not want to use an engine with a cast iron flywheel on a mini bike. Acceleration will be slower, and the weight of the flywheel will have more rotational inertia, so slower deceleration. That is why they are used on snowblowers, tillers, larger engines on tractors, etc.
  9. acjohn

Next project on deck-70' Speedway Scorpion

Happy with the way my 70' Scrambler turned out, I finally am going to clean this up and get it going. I won this from an Ebay auction about 15 years ago for $400. (that was the going rate before vintage mini bike prices skyrocketed). Loaded my wife in the truck and drove from Syracuse, NY to...
  10. acjohn

My 'beer budget' 70' Scrambler resto

I bought this bike about 3 years ago and is was 95 % original. I paid $600 for it and also fixed the guys Stihl backpack blower and did carb work on his 80's 3 wheeler. Has original tank (no dents), decals, seat, clutch cover, paperwork. I had matching frame paint mixed at an automotive paint...
  11. acjohn

Vintage Please Help Identify!

PLEASE help me identify my old bike. I recently posted this in the scrapbook page. It has been in my family since 1968 or 9. It looks to me very similar to the Bonanza bikes but does not have a rear suspension or welded tabs for a rear fender. Maybe it is a Sears? Any information from the...
  12. acjohn

The Vintage Mini Bike Family Photo Scrapbook

Pic was taken by my mom in Sept 82'. I am towing my brother. Bike was given to me by my uncle who bought it for my older cousins for xmas in 1969. I still have it, but without the original 2.5 hp Tecumseh.
  13. acjohn

Re-Chroming spoke wheels

If you are not looking for perfect chrome, scrubbing them with aluminum foil dipped in water will take all the surface rust off, and will not scratch or dull the chrome.
  14. acjohn

1970 Speedway Scorpion

New to this site but have been into minibikes for 25+ years. A couple of questions on my 1970 Speedway Scorpion. I bought this about 15+ years ago off of EBAY for $400 and drove from Syracuse, NY to Kannapolis, NC to pick it up. It does not show much use and appears all original. Was there...