Recent content by Docdng

1. D

Mounting Wide Knobbies on Wide Rim

Thank you, good to know. I got the tires on w/o breaking down and crying. Minor trouble getting the bead to seat on the Duro 22 X 11 - 8 (Front) mainly because the sidewall on this tire is pretty rugged and stiff (4 Ply) but I put the squeeze to it with a strap and it finally aired up. The...
  2. D

Engine Displacement on Tecumseh 10 HP HM100?

As it turns out, my local motor vehicle division buddy tells me that they apparently have paperwork that makes you "legal" for US Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management purposes. Sounds like it works the same as registering a 4-wheeler ATV. This gets you a 2 Year tag for tooling around...
  3. D

Engine Displacement on Tecumseh 10 HP HM100?

Anybody know the cc displacement on the HM100 motor? This is the engine on my Heald Super Bronc. I thought I had this info written down somewhere but can't find it now. [The mind is the first to go and I cannot remember what the second thing is!] I did find other ID numbers on this motor but...
  4. D

Here is a pic of me & my ol'lady on my Shovelhead, riding down I 70 in the Mountain's around Avon Col. in 1989 ,, before Sturgis.

Yes, it sounds like we've dodged a few bullets during our time on the planet. It is a well-known fact that auto drivers sometimes look right at you approaching on your bike and still manage to knock you over--b/c you apparently don't "register" in the scheme of things when it comes to their...
  5. D

Thank you. Good stuff to have in the garage when these things come up. Beats the hell out of soapy water and rusting the inside of the rim.
  6. D

Here is a pic of me & my ol'lady on my Shovelhead, riding down I 70 in the Mountain's around Avon Col. in 1989 ,, before Sturgis.

Yes sir, that Joe looks like a fellow we might have run into on some run between Sturgis and Colorado. And he has a hell of a shop full of toys too--what a guy!! Glad I got to connect with you fellows on this site. I don't ride too far anymore but this Fat Boy does get out on his Fat Boy...
  7. D

Sounds like you had that ignition timing down to a science. Aint nothing like riding a motorcycle in mountain country for sharpening your survival/safety instincts. I swear that I had the ability to read minds--like knowing the guy in front of you is going to change lanes w/o signaling! Or...
  8. D

Just ran across your post and it brought back memories of riding my Harley in the early 80s all around Boulder, I - 70 West to Grand Junction, Canyon Lands (Utah) and just about everyplace on the Continental Divide and Western Slope of Colorado. Talk about wind and let me tell you about I - 80...
  9. D

Well I know for sure that my current old tires are out of round b/c I took the beast out for a very short "shake down cruise" (ie., to see how many parts fall off on the road) and though nothing came flying off, I felt myself "bobbing" up and down on perfectly good pavement. I'm betting that...
  10. D

How tough is it to mount 12" wide tires on Super Bronc Rims (probably about 10" wide). OEM tires are 21 X 12 - 8 and would like something new in that size range. Read here and there that putting these on the rims will even bring tears to some tire shop "experts!" Secondly, I don't want to run...
  11. D

Front Fork Disassembly Heald Super Bronc

I see the difference in the photos you provided. I personally think that the Honda boots look a little better--just the right length as opposed to the "Maytag" boots which look a little too long for my tastes. Thanks for the information. I already have, on hand, boots I bought from Ron...
  12. D

I saw a post on one of the forums talking about the washing machine stuff and thought it sounded funny but hey, if they work why not. Also saw something abt that referring to Honda 50 fork stuff that might work. Probably more expensive but I'll check both out when the time comes. Thank you...
  13. D

My question might be pre-mature as I have not even touched it yet but I know you guys have a lot of expertise you share with FNGs like me. Need to take apart front fork in order to install new shock boots I bought from R Kimball years ago. Might as well tidy up all else (e.g., brake unit) that...
  14. D

Super Bronc 10 Build, from the bone yard.

I'm a new guy to this mini bike business (unless you count the 400,000 miles I put on my Cushman Eagle as a kid!) but I started following your project recently. I'm trying to do some CPR on a Super Bronc too--like you, for my 13 yr old grandson. Mine is complete for the most part (because I...
  15. D

New old guy on the block.

Thank you. The jury is still out on how my carb rebuild will work but if it doesn't, I have the SLE option to explore. I will learn the ins and outs of this stuff. I'm reasonably handy with a wrench and not afraid to break into things when they need some tweaking. With a little help from...