Recent content by jughed

1. J

Wheelie bars...

Slapped together some bars for the Bird.....still waiting on some parts but by the time it's done I'll probably sit slightly behind the rear tire, and I'm not tiny. lol. The original plan was to build this as a pit bike for drag race events. I was even thinking of putting a parachute mount on it...
  2. J

HS40 kill switch....quick question

Yep... That's the picture I went by.. Thank you.
  3. J

HS40 kill switch....quick question

This is a 1985 HS40 from a snowblower. It had a cut white wire attached to the coil tab closest to the cylinder. Could that have been the original kill switch? All research shows the switch being attached to the other tab ..will a kill switch work on either?? Thanks!!!
  4. J

Stripping a Bird frame....question..

Thanks for the info, everyone. Great idea on the compressed air. Actually they were quite easy to remove. After prying them open just a bit and spraying PB blaster, I used a 7/8 wrench and a hammer to tap them off. I guess they are original... that's a pretty red color on the bars. I'm surprised...
  5. J

Thanks, l74. I have angle grinders and brush cups...some being 'aggressive', but I'm considering having it media-blasted instead.
  6. J

Other than the foot peg covers, the bird frame is about stripped clean for refinish Are these covers original to the bike?? I'll make some effort to save them if so. I hate destroying original parts...that comes from years of owning old cars Thanks..
  7. J

Sears roper restoration

Thank you for this restoration thread. Well done....the color combo looks great. I'm not hijacking your thread I hope, but I have a pair of Roper frames and will be using one for a build soon... Unfortunately the one with the fuel tank has too much rust on the bottom of the frame, I'm guessing...
  8. J

anyone recognize this decal on the Bird???

Thanks, Freddy. ah, yes....those long gone days of being a teenager who ignored all warnings were so fun. Riding down alleys and sidewalks was the norm for my brothers and i. That sticker doesn't warn riders to stay off of mad neighbors' lawns (and we didn't stay off of their lawns)
  9. J

anyone recognize this decal on the Bird???

Found this (alum?) decal on the Bird frame while scrubbing the crud off in preparation for sandblasting. From what little i can see, i'm thinking that it might be some disclaimer. It's on the front of the motor mount plate. Good to know the original color too. Thanks for any help!!
  10. J

New member....new project

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.
  11. J

chipper, thank you for the info.
  12. J

Hello everyone. Found this neat website while searching for info on a minibike frame. The pics of old minibikes remind me of my brothers and i riding through the neighborhood back in the 70's. My project will be restoring the frame, and possibly mating the 5HP Briggs currently mounted on the old...