Recent content by Mark Brown

1. Mark Brown

1969 Rupp Banchi - Build Project

Hey all, I spent some productive time in the garage today. I turned the CAD (above) into a metal rendition of a RUPP chain guard. I think it turned out ok, but somehow I managed to clock the vents incorrectly - damnit! I need to add a front lower support bracket to stand off from the...
  2. Mark Brown

Hey all, I'm back to doing some more CAD today. This time it's for a RUPP inspired chain guard. Here is what I have come up with. (See pics attached) I know it won't fool anyone, but I needed a functional chain guard - so why not make something similar to the original. It would be easier to...
  3. Mark Brown

Hey all, I'm getting close to bringing this one across the finish line. It's a cold one today -8C (or 17F to my southern neighbours). It runs a bit funny, so I may need to spend a bit of time with a jet drill after my air cleaner shows up (hopefully this week). It's supposed to go above...
  4. Mark Brown

Help identify frame I’ve had this mini bike since I was my sons age and we are going to restore it

Hey @Shane5684 - I think it's always your call. I have a couple of vintage hobbies. I've got a bike that I'm currently "restoring". In my case, restoring means making it functional. I tend to like stock stuff, but that doesn't mean it's gotta be. One of my other hobbies is old VW's. I've...
  5. Mark Brown

mini bikes in europe

Hey Datguy, I understand your pain. I'm in Canada, and parts from the USA are crazy expensive for me too, mostly due to shipping. A couple of ideas (but not necessarily good ones)... * 3/4" is pretty darn close to 19mm (19.05mm). I'd think there would be enough slop that you could use a...
  6. Mark Brown

Thanks for the ideas @colt 1911 . I like the one on the Arco - simple and sweet. Covered previously in this thread is the bit about ordering stuff from south of the border (I'm in Canada), the shipping is ludicrous. I'd far rather make something myself (it can be a bit crude) than pay Fedex...
  7. Mark Brown

Steady progress. Busy day today. Too tired to say much about it. I still need to get to the front fender and the cables. It's beginning to look like a bike again.
  8. Mark Brown

Purists - avert your eyes. My wife and I made a seat for the Rupp today. I don't have any idea what the original really looked like. Most pictures I found for the Banchi are pretty grainy. I found a video on youtube that I took a couple of frames from to come up with a rough idea. I think it...
  9. Mark Brown

Me and the Mrs. said

Hang in there brother.
  10. Mark Brown

Letsencrypt Cert

Thanks for what you do Hent!
  11. Mark Brown

So over the last couple of weekends I managed to prime and paint the frame. Oh yeah, I managed to paint the fenders too. The executive decision here is flat black, as it will hide a lot of the boo-boos. In the pictures, the flat black hasn't "gone off" yet, and still has a bit of a sheen. The...
  12. Mark Brown

Loud Bang/Mini Explosion, Now it Won't Start

Congrats on the new mill. It will probably say similar in the manual (but who reads those anyway...), be sure to change your oil after the first few hours on the engine. Since these little motors lack things like rod bearings, you are actually wearing the connecting rod directly. Any...
  13. Mark Brown

Letsencrypt Cert

Agreed - seems the renewal happened and it's good to go now! You can see in the screenshots the gap in time (about 10 hours) where the security certs were invalid. Thanks for getting 'er all fixed up!
  14. Mark Brown

Letsencrypt Cert

@massacre, you've likely just bypassed the security alert in your browser. You might want to be careful of bypassing security messages (banking, credit-card, e-commerce especially). That's how a lot of online fraud happens. It's still an issue for this website. Attaching the cert info for...