Recent content by metalhead1982

1. metalhead1982

Tri Rod STR 381 ?

For anyone who hasn't seen this article before, here is a link to a 1974 Popular Mechanics article that mentions Alsport and BGW trikes as being road legal, among others. Judging by the article's lead picture, there may have been a road legal variant of the STR. The one in the pic looks to be...
  2. metalhead1982

Who is well versed on Tri Rod Trikes ?

That's the problem with Tri-Rods, there's not a lot of info around on BGW, Arms Industries, or Tri-Rods in general. I'm not sure much of it survived the end of the company. There is one sales brochure that I think is from the late 70s. I've never seen any info on their street legal models...
  3. metalhead1982

TriRod Brakes (Upgrading)

I didn't use hydraulics, just the cheap minibike calipers from Amazon (link below), 2 6" brake rotors that I got from BMI Karts (link below), and a handful of grade 8 hardware. I just ran a brake cable from each caliper to handlebar brake levers. The left hand brake work the left wheel and the...
  4. metalhead1982

Tri Rod belt help needed

Nice Trike! I've got a red one just like it! MustangFrank got it right up above. That's how I got the belt for the 40-series TAV that I put on mine. I've got the 18HP Duromax on mine, though.
  5. metalhead1982

Just built Dunecycle... I think.

For anyone that is still following this thread, I found out that this is not a Dunecycle 100s. It is actually a Sears Dune and Trail Trike. They are so similar as to be identical except for the shape of the seat back and the grab handle on the rear of the frame. They have the same frame...
  6. metalhead1982

I'm sure I could stretch it, but I don't need to. And I don't like cutting up original things in good condition. I have my Tri-Rod that is ridiculously over powered. That's my toy. Other than that one, I just like building them.
  7. metalhead1982

Well, I just had my 12 year old take it for a test drive. It goes, stops, turns, etc. As suggested, the tires give a very stiff ride. I'll probably look into some squishy tires for it if we keep it. It is definitely way too short for my 6'3" frame. Even my 12 year old was folded up while...
  8. metalhead1982

Yep. The Red Tri-Rod in my profile pic is even better. It has a 5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern on the hub. I can actually get DOT approved car or trailer tires on it. I have a set of skinny donut spares with hubcaps and trim rings from the junkyard that I put on it for road use.
  9. metalhead1982

Thanks for the offer, but I'm good for now. When I started putting this trike together, I was going to use a set of 23" lawn mower tires I have laying around, but they were too big to fit and too big for the axle. You can see one of the big tires laying on the ground in the pics. I still...
  10. metalhead1982

You guys on here never cease to amaze me. I love these old trikes and I thought I had at least heard of all the different makes from the 70's, but here's one I'd never encountered before. Thanks.
  11. metalhead1982

The tires are a bit stiff, but this is built for my mostly flat yard. And the tires were cheap. I found a used set of all 4 with rims and hubcaps for $30 on FB marketplace.
  12. metalhead1982

Yeah, they do take some real estate. This is actually my third trike. I also have a MTD Mudbug and a BGW TriRod TR-385.
  13. metalhead1982

Please ignore the messy shop. I'm just showing off the newest member of the fleet. I just finished putting the last touches on this trike. I think it is a Dunecycle DS-1 but I'm not sure. If anyone knows for sure what this is, feel free to let me know. The frame is freshly sand-blasted and...
  14. metalhead1982

So...What Did I Buy (Get Myself Into)? - BGW TriRod

You, sir, are a scholar and a gentleman! Thanks for this!
  15. metalhead1982

TriRod Brakes (Upgrading)

I just got done converting my Mudbug to dual disk brakes with cheap mini-bike calipers and it was a total success. I plan on replicating the entire setup on my Tri-Rod with better calipers. I think the 6" rotors will absolutely fit.