Recent content by niquels

1. niquels

Niquels' - Doodlebug Build - (Chinese Class)

I started painting the header/muffler today using VHT header paint. I did a did a couple layers of white then started painting it red. I will finish the painting another day (I plan on also removing the paint from this bike and re-painting it as well). I purchased studs/nuts for the...
  2. niquels

We worked on securing the battery inside the ammo can today (and a previous day). Since the inside of the can isn't flat we decided to make a flat bottom out of wood. I decided I wanted the battery to be held in place by wood vs. using a strap/tie-down. I figure this will let me put...
  3. niquels

Yep, the Nano surprisingly has all the pins/memory that the Uno has, they're both using the ATmega328 chip. The hardest part was getting my computer to talk to it, I can send code to a regular arduino just fine but to get this one to work I had to install special "FTDI" drivers (and hop over to...
  4. niquels

Luckily the ammo can will let me hide all of this hardware ;)
  5. niquels

Yup, for this I bought a 4$ "clone" called the "Arduino nano v3". I bought a few more after I got it working, can't beat the price and size. I just got a simple version of the auto high beams working, it's just seeing if the value the sensor is reading is less than a certain threshold (works...
  6. niquels

Another small update.. I have pulled the head off the engine to see what length rod I need to order, it looks like I need the 20 thousands longer one. I will be ordering the rod, a cam, springs, retainers, gaskets, and other small parts soon! I have been working on a "dashboard" recently...
  7. niquels

That's a good idea too, I hadn't thought about it that way. When I add the tensioner to my bike I'm going to have to put the spring on the inside (unless I space out the ammo can a bit) so if I do the dual mount it sounds like it should be pretty sturdy.
  8. niquels

Feel free, I got the idea from a Facebook page post. Usually people just use one "arm" but my buddy went with two arms (he said it's still under-engineered so maybe there will be improvements).
  9. niquels

Got the ammo can mounted today, right now it's just screwed in where the chain guard should go. The ammo can will house the battery and will let me toss some spare parts/tools in there (like master links). I think I will relocate the kickstand to the proper side since the battery makes the...
  10. niquels

It feels good to have some real stopping power, gotta make sure to not squeeze it too hard.
  11. niquels

I forget to mention, the hydraulic brakes are amazing, it locks up the tire if you try and it gets very squirrely ;)
  12. niquels

Got a little bit of work done on the mini bike today (and got a few rides in). The hotrodminibike hydraulic brake system is on the bike! In the interest of time (and laziness/to see if it would work) the left-hand brake lever that came with the brake system has been mounted on the right...
  13. niquels

Thanks man :), it's all about having a little fun with it. I got this patch for the seat (once I get to doing that) since (if I choose to use the turn signals) I will be doing some one handed riding but probably not going to no-hand it ;) I'm a software engineer so I'm having a lot of fun with...
  14. niquels

I actually have one of those on a different bike (but thanks for letting me know had I been unaware ;) ), but for this one I want to do something different :) I think it might have a cool aesthetic. I want to have some "auxiliary" buttons but more on those later!
  15. niquels

I ordered/received a ton of toggle switches the other day, here's a little mock up of the switch panel I made tonight. I'm working on some sketches on how something like that^ can attach to the front fork and how I can re-do what I have done with metal :)