Recent content by Tanshanomi

1. Tanshanomi

Tecumseh TC300 2HP 2-stroke: How should I use it?

I think I've found some inspiration. I want to use the TC300 to make a VanTech "-ish" scrambler that will be legal under street moped rules — 50cc/2-HP max, no manual gear shifting.
  2. Tanshanomi

Build-Off 2024?

I have a 2HP Tecumseh TC300 I've been scheming about. I could do that after the first of the year. Is there a goal completion date?
  3. Tanshanomi

Bride of Frankenstein - a cure for leftover parts cluttering the workshop.

It was such a nice day, I took the opportunity to cruise around on The Bride a bit this afternoon. Strapped on the ol’ GoPro and recorded part of the ride for posterity. Includes GPS overlay.
  4. Tanshanomi

It's not really stuff from the pile, more along the lines of how the pile originated. I've wanted a Bultaco road bike for over 40 years. I've had four Bultacos, including a 250 vintage roadracer I built out of a '76 Pursang 250 and a Suzuki GT250K front end, but never anything street legal. A...
  5. Tanshanomi

Unfortunately, the "next thing" isn't a mini-bike, so I won't be covering it here.
  6. Tanshanomi

Thanks! The members of this forum were a great help in getting her built.
  7. Tanshanomi

I tried adding some heavy-duty 3M vinyl sheet to the tank to cover up the ghosted Can-Am decals. It went on impressively well and looked great initially, but it kept developing bubbles over time. I understand that this is a common issue with plastic tanks, which can be liquid-tight while not...
  8. Tanshanomi

I used the same plug with the small hole in it. This project is all about recycling!
  9. Tanshanomi

Yes, the plug has to be there, otherwise the exhaust gases would take the path of least resistance and shoot straight down the center of the pipe, unmuffled. The plug forces the exhaust to go out the holes in the mesh tube, through the baffles, and back through to the center. Also, the baffle...
  10. Tanshanomi

I took The Bride out on my coffee run this morning. I'm really having fun with this bike. It's such an enchanting little misfit!
  11. Tanshanomi

I am happy to report that I have been able to put some miles on The Bride, and I feel it’s fundamentally a success. I traced the CVT’s erratic behavior to excessive end play in the driven pulley shaft. A little shim washer was all it took to set it up properly; it is now working smoothly. I...
  12. Tanshanomi

No fiberglass. No longer necessary because there is now mechanical barriers to dissipate the sound waves, and it would not be advisable anyway, as there is nowhere to put it. All the space inside the can is now part of the exhaust pressure's active route of escape.
  13. Tanshanomi

I finally fabricated a permanent instrument panel, something I had been struggling to make both functional and reasonably attractive. The process required a number of iterations, and what I ended up with is overly convoluted, yet crude. In other words, it’s perfectly in keeping with this bike’s...
  14. Tanshanomi

Calibrating an inductive tachometer

Wow, I didn't even consider alignment as an issue. Viewing it from behind would be difficult on my bike. The frame and swingarm block any view of the belt to the rear. Perhaps I can mount my GoPro somewhere on the bike that will record a proper view of it in action.