Recent content by TorontoTim

1. TorontoTim

Skate board wheels for chain / belt tensioners.

Skateboard wheels are popular in the bobber/chopper crowd. Lots of clamp and weld-on sprung tensioners available along with the wheels. http://www.monstercraftsman.com/monstercraftsman-parts-the-we-make/
  2. TorontoTim

Advertisements in middle of threads?

It's because (most likely) you're a Supporting Member.
  3. TorontoTim

MTD Trail Flite Torque Converter Question?

I wasn't looking closely enough at OldMiniBikes Warehouse and realized they have threaded jackshafts. Looks like a 10" jackshaft will be pretty close to perfect allowing about 1" of thread exposed on either end for a simple nyloc nut and washer setup to keep things in place. Might be a little better...
  4. TorontoTim

The collars/set screw idea was just to keep the pulley on the shaft, not to keep it from rotating (which of course is the keyway's purpose). Was just considering short-cuts to avoid drilling/tapping etc. Get a jackshaft about the right length and put collars on each end to keep it in place...
  5. TorontoTim

Got it. I wasn't sure how the shaft was fastened in place. I just pulled the motor out and will break the rest of the bike down in the coming days. Might try to slap a coat of orange paint on it. Sadly someone spray bombed it black but I can see the original paint under some parts I've...
  6. TorontoTim

Advertisements in middle of threads?

It's SOVRN/Viglink affiliate links. They track clicks on links to places like Amazon and eBay, and if you actually buy something after linking over there, OldMiniBikes makes a bit of money. I have the same on DO THE TON. There is an option to allow Viglink to change certain keywords like 'bike' into...
  7. TorontoTim

How did you mount the driven pulley to the MTD jackshaft? I'm in the exact same boat. GX200 clone engine with 3/4" shaft, stock MTD 5/8" jackshaft. I got a type 30 torque converter. Removed the driven pulley from the shaft on the new unit and it slides perfectly onto the stock MTD jackshaft...
  8. TorontoTim

The Official MTD MIni Bike Thread

Needs some work but it was a good price and will clean up. Not looking to restore with original engine or anything. Just make it run and stop. Any source for brake shoes?
  9. TorontoTim

Right - that’s why I plan to convert mine to the motocross style. Just need some risers and bars (and a grinder and drill). Are your bars original? I’d like to find some bars that are a close match.
  10. TorontoTim

BTW I’m in the market for an original style gas tank and seat as well, and if there are any parts diagrams / manuals out there those would be useful also.
  11. TorontoTim

The model I'm getting is like the first photo - it has handlebars that could originally be rotated and secured with knobs on the sides of the triple tree. The 700 series model, like the 2nd photo, uses more traditional clamps and bars. I prefer the look etc. of the traditional bars, and am...
  12. TorontoTim

I'm planning on picking up a Trail Flite 600 series (the folding handlebars - have been welded in place) this weekend. My first foray into pull-start mini bikes. I have a Honda ST90 I'm restoring, but that's a different, street legal, shifting animal. It has some other sort of engine on it...
  13. TorontoTim

1973 Honda ST90 - doesn't seem to shift at higher RPM

Did a little adjusting here and there and it's working a little more smoothly than before. I'll probably never get used to having to let the engine wind down to shift - keep trying at the top of the RPM range to shift into a higher gear and it doesn't do anything (the mechanics of which still...
  14. TorontoTim

New member with an old mini bike

I'm just over by High Park in the Junction area. Might get a temp plate for $15 or whatever they charge these days and ride it to Lakeshore/Leslie one Thursday evening for kicks.
  15. TorontoTim

1973 Honda ST90 - doesn't seem to shift at higher RPM

Much thanks for the tips and step-by-step instructions. Going to spend a bit of time this weekend fiddling with it to see what's what. Like I say, it runs and drives fine, and for all I know is exhibiting perfectly normal behavior.