Briggs & Stratton Exaust Pipe/Muffler

What exactly are you looking for? The answer could be yes if we are to define 'decent looking'...:shrug:
Yep. For a garage hack like me, the answer was to use an old kart racing set up, cut the ugly off of it, weld on some pipe and bends, weld in a threaded retainer for the header support arm going to the tabs on the head, and chrome it.

That was last year. This year, I look at it, don't like it much, and dislike cleaning exhaust soot off of my paint. So I am going to tape it off, cut it a bit, then slap on one of those overpriced fan boy "tuned" RLV stainless steel exhaust ends, and aim it at the chrome fender instead of the painted frame. :laugh:

Between the chrome and the RLV, this is a $300 exhaust! It's so cool, you don't even have to start the bike up to hear it.

In the past I used some chrome handlebars from a pedal bike. Cut it off so it fits the minibike, looks the best use it. Weld on a screw in flange for the engine and weld a threaded plumbing coupling for the muffler to screw into.
Works good and looks better than just a straight pipe.

Danford1

Harquebus

I rather like the look of straight pipes with the washer end. So tough looking. I picked up a few 11" ones and it appears they were blued, like a firearm. Not sure how long that finish will last though.

I don't plan on using a silencer of any kind. Anyone got pics of "decent looking" vis-à-vis hideous? I figure if it's not rusty and tattered, it's good to go.

A typical BS racing header goes for under $40. They start at 1" OD, and go up to 1 5/16. They come with the engine flange of course, welded on, and can be cut and modified, bent, etc. To those, there are several offerings of weld on fitments to screw on mufflers, and well as clamp-on mufflers.

A 7/8 handle bar might be too restrictive once it gets some length and bends to it, and definitely insufficient for well running (cam, etc) or Raptor engines.

Here is the monstrosity I referred to earlier, and which I am going to be modifying at the tail piece.

This is one I fabricated for a Taco with a hot rod flathead. Home made flange, straight pipe, and during my fish tail experimentation phase. The one above is on my Raptor powered bike by the way. This one below worked very well, as far as performance, but might be too loud for sensitive neighbors.

Harquebus

I keep forgetting we're working within the stifling confines of mini bike frames...whereas I am primarily doing the go kart thing right now. Not to mention folks prefer a lot of chrome details on the bikes.

I have a forlorn Rupp Continental which has a pipe going straight from the port and ends up centered over the rear fender. Threaded black pipe to fit the 4 horse Briggs and a sausage muffler on the end.

On your copper bike there, it is easy to see that the exhaust pipe is a bit more than half of a handlebar. That is near perfection and the fish tail too. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I keep forgetting we're working within the stifling confines of mini bike frames...whereas I am primarily doing the go kart thing right now. Not to mention folks prefer a lot of chrome details on the bikes.

I have a forlorn Rupp Continental which has a pipe going straight from the port and ends up centered over the rear fender. Threaded black pipe to fit the 4 horse Briggs and a sausage muffler on the end.

On your copper bike there, it is easy to see that the exhaust pipe is a bit more than half of a handlebar. That is near perfection and the fish tail too. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Thanks buddy, just tossing out some ideas. Definitely confines on a bike, as well as "ridability" make it more of a challenge. On the Tote Gote, it's a two person machine, so that's why I need to massage the exhaust some.

Harquebus

It's not like I haven't looked--I've looked to and fro for evidence that someone manufactures a glitzy, glamorous exhaust pipe for our Briggs flatheads. Most everything I've seen is for function or performance and not looks.

I don't mind the sausage mufflers--I've seen several that looked shiny zinc plated, if not chrome.

Tecumseh made a lot of chrome pipes for minibikes back in the day and it seems most minibikes had Tecumsehs over Briggs'ses.

I'm kinda bummed. :no:

Harquebus

Does anyone make a decent looking exaust pipe/muffler for a vintage Briggs & Stratton engine to use on a mini bike ?
To revisit the thread here, as long as you have the appropriate mounting flange for the Briggs, anything is possible.

I think JTW Fabrication might be up to making some exhaust pipes for us Briggs fans. Maybe an S-curve to the left to get the heat away from the carb and gas tank and exit outside the mini-bike frame? I have his Predator/clone header and it's beautifully made--looks almost like stainless steel.

http://stores.ebay.com/JTW-FABRICATION?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I only say this because I contacted him and he was very open to adding a female 3/4" NPT coupler onto his existing Predator 212cc pipes for the ubiquitous Briggs "wiener" muffler. Maybe if we stage an informal petition, we could get something going....

Other than that, on the muffler/silencer side of things, I'm very interested in trying to use one of these pit bike can mufflers, also seen around the web or ebay. Small inlet side size is 28mm or about 1.1" I.D. About 9.5 inches in length...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28mm-Universal-Motorcycle-Pit-Dirt-Bike-Exhaust-Muffler-Pipe-50cc-110cc-125cc/291971916225?hash=item43fae1e1c1:g:vBwAAOSwJ7RYUTLb&vxp=mtr

28mm Muffler.jpg

Last edited: