HS50 numbers for/from Ruttman

markus

Anyone happen to have a survivor/original HS50 that is on/off or sold through Ruttman that can supply the engine number off it (I don't need the serial number), ultimately looking for the early/right around 1973 version so it would have had a small bolt on tag found on left side of the engine, but I can most likely figure out the standard number from a slightly later one with the numbers stamped on the top of the shroud.

Working on a replication of an early version HS50 with centerfill white tank and just trying to narrow the numbers down to get the correct parts installed and and tag made up.

Thanks for any help :thumbsup:

delray

markus,would any numbers off a 73 hs50 for a thunder bolt or a ss-5 rupp work? I believe those numbers have been posted in the past. both bikes would carrie the small ID tag.

markus

markus,would any numbers off a 73 hs50 for a thunder bolt or a ss-5 rupp work? I believe those numbers have been posted in the past. both bikes would carrie the small ID tag.

They wont, they are both slanted application and black in color. Thank you though!

delray

hey markus, maybe you seen this the other day or not for sale? it was a 73 hs-50 bearing motor/aluminum flywheel engine.
numbers on the tag where stamp like this. also appears to be a flat mount engine.
HS50 67038A
capture a picture on my phone.

markus

didnt see that one, Thanks. I have that number recorded as one that Wards/Cestad used. I was originally black and had a front mounted tank.

I did scrounge up a 1973 Ruttman used number finally, from mid 1973. But after going through some parts I am actually now going to use an '83 used number as a donor instead and wrap in it in 1973 externals and hardware. I have good RV/mini bike numbers to use from an '83 so I will stamp the tag with them, Only a handful of people are able to figure out how to narrow down the era made by looking at the numbers only so everyone's gonna see the 3 in the serial and go from there ;) Plus they will be true/good number to use if parts were ever needed. Use up some of my big taper parts I have so the small tapers can be used for retrofits with early HS40 parts and stuff like that.

I have a 73 Hs50 with the little tag. It is a flat mount but from the color I would say that it’s from some type of lawn equipment, not a mini bike.

GustoGuy

I have a 73 Hs50 with the little tag. It is a flat mount but from the color I would say that it’s from some type of lawn equipment, not a mini bike.
In some ways that it better because lots of HS50 Tecumseh were put on snowblowers and they are more likely to be in better mechanical condition then an often beat up minibike engine. Lots of minibikes get park or worse scraped for worn out or blown engines. Lighting coils and the 4 magnet flywheels can be hard to find too. But with modern batteries and powerful LED headlights you can put in a rechargeable battery and the lights will run for many hours with a fully charged battery.

delray

In some ways that it better because lots of HS50 Tecumseh were put on snowblowers and they are more likely to be in better mechanical condition then an often beat up minibike engine. Lots of minibikes get park or worse scraped for worn out or blown engines. Lighting coils and the 4 magnet flywheels can be hard to find too. But with modern batteries and powerful LED headlights you can put in a rechargeable battery and the lights will run for many hours with a fully charged battery.
just to add to your reply. this 73 engine isn't just hs50 found on snowblower etc..... kind of a special one year only motor that comes with a small ID tag, bearing crank case and a short live aluminum flywheel. different from a hs-40 aluminum flywheel and then soon got replace with a cast steel flywheel.
but you kind of right about most other small engines off of other types of equipment having less run time and abuse like minibikes kind of got....

markus

Yea, they used the little tag on all HS50's no matter the application 1972-73, some HS40's got them as well when they had a funky early shaped top with late shaped bottom shroud to accommodate a flywheel for an electric starter (no room for the common business card size tag on the front). Those were usually snowblowers. 1974 was the transition year/end of the tags. even the rounded top H30-35 and HS40's were getting stamped across the top as the tags ran out.

My engine has aluminum flywheel also, but no BB sidecover it’s a bushing cover
No ball bearing crank.....not one made for a mini bike originally (applies to HS50 only)

delray

back to the original question markus was asking you can now see how hard it is to find this engine he was asking about with the information that has been posted about it. kind of like a needle in a haystack fine. also in the other pictures this engine I posted had a flat mount intake,exhaust and front and rear fill. different then a slant engine. they would of had only a rear fill. well at least my 73 thunderbolt hs-50's are like this and the rupp ss-5