Tecumseh H50 Stroker

Thanks Rocco , and I like the bike ! What size is the carb on that engine ?

I believe that was a 19mm carb. and I only cleaned and smoothened the ports in this motor but I did polish the top of the piston and the head to a mirror shine. I think the only drawback to this engine was it being a points motor. It pulled hard of the line though.

Stock Tecumseh lifter on the (left ) measures 1.917 after market lifter (right) measures 2.000 , just what I needed !

(Left) Tecumseh stock valve 1.160 x 3.962 with a .310 stem diameter (right) ARC stainless steel 1.160 x 3.900 with a .248 stem diameter .

Installed one valve and retainer to get a ruff estimate on spring height , a good guess is around 1.200 installed height . I'll get some solid numbers tomorrow .

More tomorrow If I can get to the shop , forecast here is plenty of rain , snow , ice and a low of 16 degrees ...:mad:

Here's what I'm getting delray , from a much older engine builder that does all kind of 4 cycle engines. Notice how thick and flat the retainer is compared to most . I'll get a good measurements when the springs come in suppose to be 26# @ 1.200

delray

eric, if that is the way you got your spring height in the picture you posted? that would be wrong. you need to install them in the motor like this..

calipers will work for a good reference point and get you in the ball park. they do make a better measuring tool. calipers will work...:)

Tecumseh motorsports retainers are thick too.

nice thing, you do have some options on retainers with different spring heights I have found when installed. (different offset retainers)
to me this could be a big plus and less worry of using multiple slims to ge you in the ball park.

delray

just use a stock spring to find your spring height. lot easier to install then a heavier spring.
this tool works the best. can't remember if you have one too?

Brian , that is the way I checked the spring height I actually had the stock Tecumseh spring on one side and the Briggs dual spring on the other , used the upper retainer and the lower . Both felt really strong when opening the valve . Sorry didn't get any pics of that ....but I think I left the dual spring set up in it now .

delray

animal single spring. they are little thicker design. they mic out around .105 thick and are made for a spring height installed around .800+
also use in the past a clone shorty spring rated at 26 pounds for .800+ height and that wire was only around .097-.098 thick.

To clear up some confusion on post #143 the pic about valve spring height was not my way nor the correct way to measure installed height of a spring . After looking at the pic I can see why people might think that ! Thanks delray .

These pics are more correct as to how to check your valve spring installed height .

This dual valve spring is rated at 32 # @ an installed height of 1.030 in a Briggs flathead engine . I'm just using it to fully close the valve to get my installed height in this Tecumseh engine.

The pictures delray is showing us I believe is on a HS Tecumseh block , this engine I'm measuring is an H block or I believe its called a medium frame engine . My calipers won't even come close to the spring or retainer .

The best way I could get a solid reading was to improvise and use something else to get a better reading on actual installed height . After a little digging I came up with this handy dandy metal ruler I had in my box .

So this is how I came up with an installed height of 1.200 . Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong !

On with this build . I also got some good numbers on the camshaft lift today

Timing mark on the crankshaft is a layed down tooth on the crank gear , I always mark mine out in yellow . Also the new longer lifters install before the cam goes in . Don't forget the crankshaft to cover spacer .

Camshaft installed and aligned .

Picture of how the crank to side cover bearing locks in with these special design bolts that you control from out side the engine . Good to know in assembly and disassembly .

Adjusting the SS valve . New lifters worked out great ! Piston up on compression stroke and both valves are supposed to be close ...but there not . I used a flash light to shine threw the ports to see how much needed to come off the valve stem ( valve adjustment ) .

A few valve springs , retainers (upper & lowers) and locks/keepers that I've acquired for this build . Spring rates from 18 # to 37 # , singles and some duals .

Adjusted the valves to a nice tight .008 and here's what I ended up with. Valves @ lift are .255/255 fully opened . If you add the .008 to these numbers cam ends up being 263/263 lift . Valves adjusted and yes the flash light is still shining in the runners .