5 hp briggs crank shaft side cover threaded holes

bbiggs54

I have a early 90's briggs 5hp that has no threaded crankshaft side cover mounting holes. Can I find a model with the threaded holes and change it? Are there specific model years that will/will not interchange?

Attachments

Biffmini

I have a early 90's briggs 5hp that has no threaded crankshaft side cover mounting holes. Can I find a model with the threaded holes and change it? Are there specific model years that will/will not interchange?
Keep looking getting harder to find. There out there....

bbiggs54

I have one that I took a pump off of. I didn't know that you could use those to mount the engine.
Thanks for your reply. The extra mounting holes on the side cover are there for mounting different types of external hardware such as a clutch/chain guard. As I turns out since I posted this, I found the clutch guard I wanted to mount attaches with 2 of the engine side cover bolts. I will not need the cover I thought was required.

Harquebus

I would not mount a clutch guard with the factory side cover screws--they need all their length to hold the side cover on and be torqued. Just a personal preference. But I see you have two extended screws with nuts at the top of the side cover. Those would probably be ok.

The plain and tapped side covers are interchangeable though for these particular engines. The tapped side cover also allows you to mount a Comet torque converter series 30 to the engine.

bbiggs54

If you need further answers, I will get the brackets and set it up on my 5 hp briggs and take pictures. I'd have to do this to see which two bolts they attach to on the crankshaft side cover. The picture I posted of the clutch cover on the black 4 hp briggs was taken by the seller before I purchased the clutch cover.

Harquebus

Thanks for indulging me. No need to post further photos, I was just curious about how it was done and now I know it was considered an acceptable method. Thanks again.