Engine Mounting Plate attachment...???

Hey guys! I'm working on a Puma 200 which has a single lower frame rail that the engine mounting plate attaches to. Someone mounted a Predator 212 to it and hacked in what appears to be a cut out section of an old Tonka Toy dump truck or something haha,.. but they welded that to the existing factory mounting plate - I have since removed the added "hacked" in plate so that there is only the original plate on the frame - but it is pretty weak looking.

I ordered a new 10" engine mounting plate for the new Predator 212 engine I have, but I'm not sure the best way to mount it up (and align it properly?) ..

I figured I would mount/clamp the plate to the new engine that will have a TAV30 installed on it and set it in the frame on the original engine mounting plate, then align it to the rear sprocket,.. then tack it down to the original plate(?) I guess once it's all welded down I'll have to drill out and clean up the adjustment slots as when I attach the new plate to the old one there will be solid metal under the adjustment slots of the new plate...

I will probably try and weld in some support gussets on the underside as well for stability and strength...

Does this sound like a pretty good plan moving forward,.. or is there something I'm missing?

I've attached a few pics,.. I have already removed the added plate so it's just the original one underneath that's still mounted currently. (Pics are before I removed that other plate...)

Thanks,
Rick

Attachments

Well it would seem that plate was added for a reason, whether for engine position, or strength, or both.
I would measure the engine you want to use on that chassis, try to get the engine in the spot you would like to operate in.
I once used wooden blocks/shims and a piece of thick cardboard to simulate a mounting plate.
Then once you get the engine in position, you should then know how big of a new plate you will need and where it will need to be located.
Looks like the original plate is welded to the frame. You could try and cut off the original plate, then weld in a whole new plate with gussets like you mentioned. Since it is a single downtube I would beef it up considerably.
Definitely don’t want the frame coming apart, at speed. That will def be a bad day.

Well it would seem that plate was added for a reason, whether for engine position, or strength, or both.
I would measure the engine you want to use on that chassis, try to get the engine in the spot you would like to operate in.
I once used wooden blocks/shims and a piece of thick cardboard to simulate a mounting plate.
Then once you get the engine in position, you should then know how big of a new plate you will need and where it will need to be located.
Looks like the original plate is welded to the frame. You could try and cut off the original plate, then weld in a whole new plate with gussets like you mentioned. Since it is a single downtube I would beef it up considerably.
Definitely don’t want the frame coming apart, at speed. That will def be a bad day.
Yeah it had a Predator 212 in it with that added plate. I have purchased an actual heavy gauge engine mounting plate for the Predator 212 motor, and it has slotted bolt holes for adjustment fore and aft... but not side to side, so I have to mount it in line correctly the first time :) The new engine mounting plate is 10" in length which is the same as the added in plate that is/was on top of the smaller factory plate so I should be good to go on size fitment. (?)

Attachments

You can see in this picture that someone tried to weld some pipe to the lower front of the frame for foot rest,.. I really like the placement,..but they failed miserably in execution haha!... I have already removed the one side that has broken loose and I'm trying to figure out the best way to weld two new heavier duty pieces in their place (?) ... I'm guessing the best way is to prep the new pieces to conform to the frame the best that I can so the weld will be easier/better... could be tricky since it's all butchered up at the moment... :(

Attachments

It might be better in the long run to just cut all the old stuff off and start fresh. No telling what a previous owner did to the bike before you got it. You might want to get the foot pegs sorted out before you weld the motor plate in, then weld the plate to the pegs with gussets for strength. You will be better able to fit the tubes and weld all around them without the plate in the way.

Yes it will be much easier to weld all around the foot peg tubes with out the engine plate in there. I'm going to try and pick up a small cylinder of Co2/Argon so I can have much cleaner welds.... Still waiting on the torque converter set up so I can mock everything up...

Cuda54

When you get the engine plate mounted add a piece to connect the engine mount and the foot pegs. That should help keep them straight and help hold the engine too.

Well we finally had a nice Saturday around here so I decided to work on the Puma and try and get the new motor mount plate mounted... After trimming away most of the previous plate I was able to mock up the new Predator 212 engine with a TAV2 30 mounted to it..

In order to get the drive sprocket to line up correctly with the rear wheel sprocket the engine/mounting plate needed to be moved over to the left quite a bit.... to the point where I could barely get the bolts into the plate past the center frame rail/tube. I still think in needs to come over a bit more to have everything perfectly aligned, but maybe I'll be able to do some experimenting with the rear axle spacer bushing and shift the rear wheel over to the right about a 1/4 inch or something (?) ... Pics to follow..

How thick is that plate?
If it were me i would add 2 more gussets in the middle of the plate if it is thin material.
But that might work just fine too.
Great job BTW getting everything to fit!
Not 100% sure,.. I went back and looked at where I bought it from, and it said "Heavy Duty Cold Rolled Steel"... I think it's 3/16" though,.. it is pretty stout IMO,.. no flex to it or anything. I'll check it and report back ;)