Putting a tav on a powell

I had this bike up at symco this last weekend, it tops out at about 8 or so mph. I took the motor off to change the oil/ maybe the carb and i want to try adding a tav to the bike.

Ive spent a while today looking it up on OldMiniBikes, lots of broken links and lots of pictures that are missing.

What is the best way to do this? Has anyone done it using the plate that mounts to the engine? Ive had bad experiences with that when the bike has a swing arm, the chain doesnt like to stay on with the swing arm going up and down. Ive added chain tensioners to bikes ive had that issue with and that seems to work alright. The torque converter that was on it was actually where that 5/16 bolt is, it was actually mounted on that bolt.

I did find a thread on facebook with some pictures from david wolf, he put 4 bearings where the swing arm mounts to the frame and ran a axle through it all then mounted the tav to that.

From what ive seen, nobody goes back to the threads and talks about how the bike runs/ how well the set up works. With the way the engine plate moves with the bike while running i cant tell how well the tave plate would work. Or if moving the torque converter back to where the frame meets the swing arm will work.

I just would like to know if someone has success with the tav plate or should i do what david wolf did (witch is alot more of a process).

20190812_170445.jpg 20190812_170504.jpg 20190812_170512.jpg

Its very doable , here's some pics of my bike that might help you . The driven is just a set pulley , the torque converter on the front works the speeds by tilting the engine back and forth .

I think thats the same driven that i have, it has a belt that is maybe 1/2" wide. My clutch is an old vplex clutch that is alot smaller then the tavs i am seeing.

I think the driven i have is original, i went and looked at the other roller i have in the back and its the same one.

What size belt is that? Is that just a normal tav on OldMiniBikes or ebay?

I didnt know i could use the same driven with a newer tav

20190812_191415.jpg 20190812_191418.jpg 20190812_191421.jpg

Thanks for the help OND, id really like to get one of these bikes going for a couple more events this summer.

Screenshot_20190812-190951_Gallery.jpg

Also, i found this on that frame, im guessing its part of an original throttle. Its not complete, dont know if there is a need for it

20190812_190317.jpg 20190812_190311.jpg

You've got two very hard to find parts there , the driven especially ! The throttle part is a true Powell part but some of it is missing , still worth keeping tough . I'll post a few pics in a minute , the driven has to be widen a bit . Washers will do it !

Thanks OND! That helps alot, i didnt know a new tav and the original driven was an option. Its actually pretty hard to find pictures of Powells behind the chain guard lol.

That is great, makes me so happy, im going to order some parts up now.

Im going to eventually do what you did with the seat too, i found seats for both bikes. Love the look of yours, that was a really cool build.

Ill hang onto the throttle piece, just in case anyone ever needs it.

So all that bar (shifter?) Is, is a bar that pushes the engine forward? Also mounts to the engine plate on the rear holes? If thats the case then i can add that to the bike too

The link works! That does help alot, ill probably order some new bearings too.

Thankyou again for the help, cant wait to get this bike going. Its never been right since i bought it, will be great to see the bike run/take off right

Awesome! Just found all the parts I think I need. That driven thread you made helped out a lot, I actually screen shotted the entire thing so it won’t disappear on me. That bar looks a lot more simple then I thought it would be, I might try and replicate it. Both bikes are “c” models for me, the plates completely float. That bike is too cool, really love the look of it

Like this too I think
A5DC9C52-0E2D-4F45-AE1D-0C44EDE0DA31.jpeg
That won’t be too difficult to do. I’m excited about it now

That bike you posted, years ago I think that’s the bike I tried to buy. The owner is the leader of a fb group I think.