Gear Ratio Question

I just put together a minibike with a 3HP Briggs. Runs pretty good and has acceptable top speed of abot 22mph. Pleanty for running around my neighborhood.
However, its very sluggish off the start. I certainly don't want to pull wheelies but, would like it to have a little more low-end.
Currently running 12T Clutch abd 60T Sprocket.
If I swap out to a 11T Clutch, will this help?

Thanks.
JackMcD

moetrout

12 tooth on the clutch is as small as I would go. Smaller than that and the radius gets a little tight for the chain. I agree with massacre, put a 72 on the back, but then your top speed will be much lower. You might try using a speed calculator to figure out where you are and where you want to be. Your gear ratio right now is 5:1. Going to a 72 tooth rear sprocket puts you at 6:1.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html

I might try a 72T sprocket. I would lose about 4-5mph. That’s ok I guess. I certainly don’t want it pulling wheelies though.

I might try a 72T sprocket. I would lose about 4-5mph. That’s ok I guess. I certainly don’t want it pulling wheelies though.
Have you looked at jackshaft set-ups? We have em on two bikes, I like em. So do the clutches. With a few extra size sprockets and a chain breaker, we can get lots of ratios. We’ve got the Hot Rod Mini on one and a custom made on the other.
Ground speed is easily calculated or driven with gps.
Your picture won’t load.