Hs50 build?

delray

nice skip, I see you have a place for a jackshaft. maybe little more gearing and a 2500 or 3000 stall spring and it should take off real good for a stock hot rodded Tecumseh engine......:scooter:

Yes...been riding around the neighborhood a little I think its as tuned in as it’s gong be....pretty happy with the way it responds etc over stock....sounds pretty cool too...

Ok I tried a comet 30 series and now a jackshaft set up on this engine and still wasn’t happy with the results...it seemed weak and lacking compression....sooo I decided to tear it apart and start over...this time I have the ever elusive 245 cam...decided to replace the Briggs retainers, you know the ones that need modified, with a set of Tecumseh(?) billet ones that came with the cam...same design but the springs actually snap into them...cut down a set of .020 over rings to .011...and going to install a mikuni 22mm to replace the 16mm....all the hard work over today, lash set etc....tomorrow will try to get all back together....
7A74ED06-E9E1-4E12-949F-5D9DFC997203.jpeg CBBC8DA6-520C-4D3B-8050-4AAB6EFBDE71.jpeg 9C104E5A-02E1-414A-B473-F87528A8A21B.jpeg D53D02FF-CEE0-4ADC-B1D2-45CE0AC54BED.jpeg

Attachments

delray

those are the Tecumseh motorsport retainers. they should lock in and work. just double check your spring height after you have them installed. it might be little hard to measure them,but they should be about .800 spring height when they are installed. depending on the type of intake and if you did any porting in the block/bowls and the a good header. it might dictate how much jetting you can run. your carb looks different then my 22mm carb. so I am not sure if the main jets is the same?(numbers stamp on the main jet) if so I would start out at 120 and go up. believe it or not my built hs-40 runs a 125 main jet. also need to run a very high stall. at less 3000 and a lot of gearing too make it feel like your going anywhere. that motor will not come alive until you start to get over 3000 rpm's.

looks like fun...:scooter:

markus

Looks good!!!! I'm doing valves and installing some of those motorsports retainers myself today only on an H50. I sold my extra neway cutter set so I could buy the 60 degree cutter/bit that I didnt have so I can now do "3 angle" valve cuts. I am going to do that, reset the lash, and install the AL retainers so I can finally get that engine buttoned up! Hope it all goes smooth for ya!

delray

skipp , said you had a 30 series on it and now going with a jackshaft. is the jackshaft with the 30 series or with a clutch only?

delray

before you even try to run it with the new mods skip . order a black spring and also I would do this little trick that the owner of max company does. this will raise the stall little more...you will need it. it's a cheap up grade and it works.
skipp this is a must to do if you really want the clutch setup to work. the rest of the gearing should be good or at less very close to make the bike go good.
when you get everything dialed in right your going to have some fun with that small block motor....:scooter:

cfh

I do this set up all the time. Since i make my own flanges and intake/exhausts, and have the jetting all figured out for the 22mm slide carb, it's pretty easy. I also cut my own 245/255 cam. It's a really solid set up on either HS40 or HS50 engines. The only thing i really have to buy (besides the usual misc parts), is the billet rod. if i could figure out how to make one those i would...

delray

have you got a chance to take it out and wind it up yet skipp. when you start to pull this little engines up to 6000-7000 rpm's and let up on them, they really have unique back pressure. I also run my exhaust through a robinson 3 stage torque tube. I believe your straight pipe design would put out the same sound. the only way i can desribed it. sounds like a jake brake on my bike.....lol.........:scooter: