hot shot mini bike

Add a few more Hot Shots to the list. The green 230cc JLO I bought from Bob Todd a few years ago. The two that need to be restored are both small frame 8 hp Briggs that my dad Dean Callahan got from Wayne Goober. The orange one we think has a big cam in it.
WACAL Eng.

Attachments

Great shots, The expansion chamber exhaust is beautiful and the first I have seen.
Richard, That exhaust was built by my dad Dean Callahan. Both dad and Guy Wakefield we quite the fabricators. These machines are too cool. Between my Brother and I we have 6. Two of them run. My 230 JLO and my Bro has a hopped up 7hp with a big cam and 10hp carb. Fun, Fun stuff. Mitch

Hi there.. I just acquired a hot shot. Has a 7hp Briggs motor and is in great condition. Haven't started it up yet but I heard it running this morning. I'm not sure of it's heritage but I do know it's #213. It is all original from what I can tell. I'll add a picture so maybe someone with some knowledge of these cool bikes can inform me about it. Thank you for your time.

Attachments

Super cool. You wanna sent it to Utah?
Well I just fired the old girl up. Started the second pull of the cord. Also, for a so called "mini bike", it sure isn't little. Doesn't appear to be ridden much at all actually. I would for sure entertain selling it. I'm not sure what the value is but it certainly is pretty cool. Let me know if you happen to know much about these. Not sure of the year etc. Thanks

I have been looking for information on the Hotshot.

Hot Shot bikes were built by WaCal Engineering in Mesa Az. Designed by Dan Callahan and Guy Wakefield, co designer of the Twister. Hot shots came in three frame sizes . According to Rob Callahan (the builders son)
Short; for the Briggs 8hp or 230 JLO,
Long; for the JLO 340 and
Wide, made to accomodate twin cylinder JLO's

They used salsbury converters. Tanks and fenders were made from either fiberglass or metal.

Sorry about the delay in response. Got tied up with grading papers and inputting grades for the end of the third quarter. To answer your question I live in North Phoenix right next to Scottsdale city limits. Would you happen to know if the engine appears to be original? I have another complete engine that is ready to go as well. Another Briggs 8 Hp motor. It just needs an air filter and air filter box and it could be installed and fired immediately. Did the Hot Shot have different models? If so, what would you think mine appears to be? I wasn't prepared for how much power this thing has? I restore vintage Hondas and this is just as good. It has the fiber glass tank (I have another in perfect shape too) and 12 inch wheels. The paint appears to be original and everything is in tip-top condition with the exception of foot pegs. That's it! Pretty darn cool. Thanks for taking any of your time to help educate me on this wonderful bike. Any idea of the value? I'm not concerned about it much just wanted to make sure I didn't take the short hand when making this deal to obtain it is all. I traded my labor and some money in parts that I had around my garage for a gentleman who needed his CT70 running and looking good. Thanks again IMG_20200229_143645.jpg

The Hotshot was built to compete in the 'National Trail Scooter Association' races between 1967 and 1972. Sometimes modifications were made to the Briggs motors to make them faster. I would be interesting to see if the head and manifold have been ported. I would also see if the head had been shaved. Some builders would put a 7hp head on a 8hp motor to raise the compression.

Just an update. I have posted these before. I have been in contact with the Callahan brothers and we have formed a brotherhood of Hot Shots. I am still in search of my original Hot Shot that was sold in Phoenix AZ in the mid 1990's. It has a blue fiberglass tank, and fiberglass rear fender. It has a copper colored 8hp B&S. Here is a recent photo of my 2 current Hot Shots, the orange one is a tall frame with a 340 JLO in it (possible Guy Wakefield's old bike per his daughter) and the blue one is a standard frame with a 230 JLO that was owned by Dave Lipperstein (I brought it from him Kansas). Both have been fully restored and are fully operational. (You have to have some big Cajones to run either one at full throttle) hsjs.jpg

Just an update. I have posted these before. I have been in contact with the Callahan brothers and we have formed a brotherhood of Hot Shots. I am still in search of my original Hot Shot that was sold in Phoenix AZ in the mid 1990's. It has a blue fiberglass tank, and fiberglass rear fender. It has a copper colored 8hp B&S. Here is a recent photo of my 2 current Hot Shots, the orange one is a tall frame with a 340 JLO in it (possible Guy Wakefield's old bike per his daughter) and the blue one is a standard frame with a 230 JLO that was owned by Dave Lipperstein (I brought it from him Kansas). Both have been fully restored and are fully operational. (You have to have some big Cajones to run either one at full throttle) View attachment 260642
just for reference lol, below is what the orange bike above looked like when i got it! Resized_20170916_143049001.jpeg