Looking for any info

Higis

I have had an old minibike for 30 years and want to restore it again but would like to find any more info I can. Maker. Model. Where to find parts etc
I can’t find any numbers on it yet but have not torn it back down yet
Last time I seem to remember thinking it was around a 1972
Some unique things are engine on a slant. Front disc brakes. Full suspension torque converter to jump/jack shaft
Have added px to help
Any info would be great
Thanks
Higis

Attachments

Sure looks like a Speedway to me. Not sure of what model though. There are some Speedway experts around here that can advise better than I can. That's a good one to restore.

Higis

Sure looks like a Speedway to me. Not sure of what model though. There are some Speedway experts around here that can advise better than I can. That's a good one to restore.
I have had an old minibike for 30 years and want to restore it again but would like to find any more info I can. Maker. Model. Where to find parts etc
I can’t find any numbers on it yet but have not torn it back down yet
Last time I seem to remember thinking it was around a 1972
Some unique things are engine on a slant. Front disc brakes. Full suspension torque converter to jump/jack shaft
Have added px to help
Any info would be great
Thanks
Higis
Would also like to find out what it may be worth

cfh

i think the full suspension models with 10" wheels are awesome. if you want to sell it, i would would buy it (providing you're not too far away, i'm near Ann Arbor MI.) I have a 1972 owners manual you can download, but it won't really tell you much. check out this article (the download for the manual is there too.) http://pinrepair.com/minibikes/speedwayinfo.htm

joshua. c.

as far as popularity speedway's are right up there with rupp's but they're much harder to find. to find a speedway that complete is supper rare and would be a collectors dream come true. it's defiantly worth restoring. no question on that one. I can't say the value hear but it's not cheep.

cfh

i agree. i have a bunch of speedways. and you're right, every one of them was a complete and total project. i mean a mess. of course every rupp i've bought (except for one) was the same way. But you can get rupp parts from blackwidowMS. with speedway parts, you have to keep an eye on ebay. Of course every Fox i've bought has been a total project too (except for one.) These things just got abused in the 1970s.

as far as popularity speedway's are right up there with rupp's but they're much harder to find. to find a speedway that complete is supper rare and would be a collectors dream come true. it's defiantly worth restoring. no question on that one. I can't say the value hear but it's not cheep.
Since no one on here can give values where can they
where can I get ahold of you or anybody that can help me with prices I have no idea what these are worth

cfh

i can give you some general information on prices. basically, mini bikes aren't worth crap. that about sums it up! for example, the most i've ever made on a mini bike sale is $10. Usually i loose money, like hundreds, when i go to sell. And it doesn't really matter if it's a fully restored vintage bike, or an as-is 'survivor', i loose and i loose bad.

even Rupps, which are kind of that gold standard of mini bike, don't seem to sell for a lot. i'm sure it happen now and then. For example, look at this 1969 rupp roadster on ebay right now... it's a beauty and it's many thousands. but it will sit there forever. the seller might get lucky, but from what i've seen, it won't sell. there was a guy on facebook selling nearly the same mini bike for under $1000. He did eventually sell it... but man it took some time... Even black widows, which seem to be the 'hot' vintage mini bikes, have a hard time selling for "their valve".

bottom line... mini bike buyers are cheap bastards!
and with new (and decent) mini bikes available for $300, can you blame them?
unless you find that buyer that's, "i'm rich and i gotta have that vintage toy from when i was 10 years old", good luck!
also location drives prices a bit too. like the coasts seem to be more pricey. in the midwest minibikes are cheap.

I will say that vintage mini bikes with 2 cycle engines (opposed to say a Tecumseh Hxxx engine) do actually sell for real money. But those are not the norm. For example a Speedway Silver Shadow, that would sell for sure for decent money. but they made like 25 of those? It's not the norm.

that's been my experience. your mileage may vary.

Speedways are way cool. i've never had one that wasn't a total project. But as an example, i re-did a Shrike. Powercoated it, rebuilt Tecumseh H35, new series20 torque converter, it looked great and rode/drive awesome. Tried to sell it. $400, nope. $300, nope, $200 finally some interest, but ultimately, nope. I took the rebuilt and repainted engine and sent it to a friend (for free!), and GAVE the roller away to another guy (minus the gas tank and TC, i needed that for another speedway i was re-doing). He put a predator on that shrike with a standard clutch, and he and his kids are happily riding it. man i don't even want to think how much i lost on that bike... and of course after i gave the bike away, THEN someone wanted to buy it (mostly because they wanted to part it out for the wheels!)

the only guys that seem to make any money are those that part out bikes, and sell the parts on ebay. then suckers like me are at their mercy to buy their expensive parts. that's how i manage to loose so much money on mini bikes... buying parts...

joshua. c.

Since no one on here can give values where can they
where can I get ahold of you or anybody that can help me with prices I have no idea what these are worth
I don't know where to go for prices but cfh said he would buy it if you looking to sell. just do me a favor and don't part it out. I would just cry seeing a bike that nice parted out. personally I'd clean it up give it a new coat of paint polish all the chrome, buy a new seat cover from ebay. replace the drive belt, clean the clutches, disassemble and fix the front brake caliper (hard to replace) get it running and have some fun with it.

cfh

i like the idea where he sells the bike to me!

also agree, don't part it out. complete machines that aren't a mess indeed are hard to find.
but that said, parting it out, assuming you don't mind the disassembly and ebay listings/pictures/questions, and shipping, gets you more money. that's why you see so many parts on ebay! selling complete bikes is difficult. though personally every time i sell something on ebay, i always say to myself, "i will never do that again!"

i can give you some general information on prices. basically, mini bikes aren't worth crap. that about sums it up! for example, the most i've ever made on a mini bike sale is $10. Usually i loose money, like hundreds, when i go to sell. And it doesn't really matter if it's a fully restored vintage bike, or an as-is 'survivor', i loose and i loose bad.

even Rupps, which are kind of that gold standard of mini bike, don't seem to sell for a lot. i'm sure it happen now and then. For example, look at this 1969 rupp roadster on ebay right now... it's a beauty and it's many thousands. but it will sit there forever. the seller might get lucky, but from what i've seen, it won't sell. there was a guy on facebook selling nearly the same mini bike for under $1000. He did eventually sell it... but man it took some time... Even black widows, which seem to be the 'hot' vintage mini bikes, have a hard time selling for "their valve".

bottom line... mini bike buyers are cheap bastards!
and with new (and decent) mini bikes available for $300, can you blame them?
unless you find that buyer that's, "i'm rich and i gotta have that vintage toy from when i was 10 years old", good luck!
also location drives prices a bit too. like the coasts seem to be more pricey. in the midwest minibikes are cheap.

I will say that vintage mini bikes with 2 cycle engines (opposed to say a Tecumseh Hxxx engine) do actually sell for real money. But those are not the norm. For example a Speedway Silver Shadow, that would sell for sure for decent money. but they made like 25 of those? It's not the norm.

that's been my experience. your mileage may vary.

Speedways are way cool. i've never had one that wasn't a total project. But as an example, i re-did a Shrike. Powercoated it, rebuilt Tecumseh H35, new series20 torque converter, it looked great and rode/drive awesome. Tried to sell it. $400, nope. $300, nope, $200 finally some interest, but ultimately, nope. I took the rebuilt and repainted engine and sent it to a friend (for free!), and GAVE the roller away to another guy (minus the gas tank and TC, i needed that for another speedway i was re-doing). He put a predator on that shrike with a standard clutch, and he and his kids are happily riding it. man i don't even want to think how much i lost on that bike... and of course after i gave the bike away, THEN someone wanted to buy it (mostly because they wanted to part it out for the wheels!)

the only guys that seem to make any money are those that part out bikes, and sell the parts on ebay. then suckers like me are at their mercy to buy their expensive parts. that's how i manage to loose so much money on mini bikes... buying parts...
Hi CFH thanks for the info but I’m confused
In one post you are talking up the Speedway mini bikes and even offer to buy mine

Then in your latest post you say mini bikes are worthless and a waste of time and money and not even worth $300 rebuilt
Now I’m not sure what to think

cfh

best i can tell you is to put it on ebay and see where it goes.
there's a 1970 speedway scarab on there now for 999 you could watch that one and see where it ends, if it ends.
i overpay for minibikes way too often. like i said, loose money every time. but if you got your bike free or cheap i'm sure you'll do fine.