Nova Ruff Rider

The Nova "Ruff Rider" came out in 1970. This ad shows there first prototype in 1969 with the Honda 50cc push rod hemi engine and a 3 speed transmission. Also was made available (so the ad says LOL) with a 100cc push rod hemi honda engine and a 4 speed or 5 speed trans..
Honda stopped putting this engine in there own Honda's after 1964, but made in available in other poor countries after that. Not sure how Nova purchased these engines or how many they made like this...its a mystery.
I am currently restoring one from the ground up which came from a 85 year old Gardena resident who says this one I have was the original 100cc demo model that was never sold by the Nova Company and acquired by this man after the Nova company was first sold in 1980. I am currently restoring the engine now as of 3/20/20 Looking for the original tank decals..? Here is a pic where I am at currently.

Attachments

Last edited:

delray

see that too in the ad/brochure.....50 mph. guy might need a helment…..lol
I thought my little nova mustang was a hard one to find. this nova model might be just is hard if not harder to find...:rolleyes:

And the optional 100cc 5 speed made without a front brake would really be a death trap LOL (only the original prototype in that ad had a front brake) I dont think they even made a Ruff Rider with a 100cc Honda engine..

capguncowboy

And the optional 100cc 5 speed made without a front brake would really be a death trap LOL (only the original prototype in that ad had a front brake) I dont think they even made a Ruff Rider with a 100cc Honda engine..
Bonanza had a Hodaka Ace 100 on their 1510 MX lineup and they only made a few models with the front brake. They were fast but I wouldn't say they were dangerous

delray

not to get off little on this bike. on the brochure posted the dealer was located in Hopkins minn. I found my nova mustang bike about hour south of that town.
you think maybe that's where it was sold back in the day...lol

Does anyone know if Minico had anything to do with it? The tank looks
Minico or at least sourced from the same supplier. A very cool minibike, I'd love to see one complete.

My Nova Ruff Rider 100 is complete now, and runs/rides great. It has the cast iron push rod hemi engine, 89cc (c200) 4 speed trans with manual Clutch. Yes that's right, Manual Clutch :) 14t front sprocket, with a 30T rear sprocket. Should go 70 mph...Honda did stop using these cast iron push rod engines after 1964, but they were made available to other companies for a few years after that, just not used on Honda's.
Wish I new where Nova got these engines from, because they started using them in this model beginning in 1970. Its really hard to find anything about this company. Wish I could find the orig tank badge. Maybe I will have one made..