help with valve keepers.

dyno received my hs50 cam two days ago. i spoke with them and he said they will get to it monday or tuesday. was going to get 18 pound briggs flat head sprigs cut down. i would rather go with briggs 18 lb animal springs with briggs dcsh-102 lower valve spring retainers and dcsh-103 valve keepers. i know the lower retainers need the inner step cut down for the springs to sit correctly. but now im reading the the 103 vale keepers need to be machined to work with the tecumseh valves. what exactly needs to be done. it is not explained in the article. anthony.

Once the step is cut should be just fine...I’ve had no need to mess with the keepers...why don’t you buy the animal springs??

Last edited:

delray

dyno received my hs50 cam two days ago. i spoke with them and he said they will get to it monday or tuesday. was going to get 18 pound briggs flat head sprigs cut down. i would rather go with briggs 18 lb animal springs with briggs dcsh-102 lower valve spring retainers and dcsh-103 valve keepers. i know the lower retainers need the inner step cut down for the springs to sit correctly. but now im reading the the 103 vale keepers need to be machined to work with the tecumseh valves. what exactly needs to be done. it is not explained in the article. anthony.
Anthony, I am the guy that discovered that the dynocam/briggs parts will work with Tecumseh stuff. the only thing you will need to do is machine just little of the inner material off the retainer. so the single fat animal spring will fit proper and tight. the keepers will lock right in. do not try using the briggs flathead springs. only the animal springs. hope this helps.
DCSH 102 RETAINERS
DCSH 103 KEEPERS

more info on my build if you want to look at.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/hs-40-build.161335/

cfh

To what Delray said, the Briggs 18lb flat head springs cut can be used, but only with the stock retainers. if you’re going to use the aluminum Dynocam retainers, you need to use the animal springs. Animal springs are the right height as the aluminum retainers make using a stock length spring impossible.

And yes the Briggs Flathead Springs cut with stock retainers does work pretty well. and is an extremely low cost solution

thanks guys. i have all the parts number written down. now i can call dyno order the parts and they can send them when they ship my cam back. i have a ton of brand new stuff for this build. all parts paid for and will be hear by the end of the week. can't wait to start on it. Anthony.

Anthony, I am the guy that discovered that the dynocam/briggs parts will work with Tecumseh stuff. the only thing you will need to do is machine just little of the inner material off the retainer. so the single fat animal spring will fit proper and tight. the keepers will lock right in. do not try using the briggs flathead springs. only the animal springs. hope this helps.
DCSH 102 RETAINERS
DCSH 103 KEEPERS

more info on my build if you want to look at.
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/hs-40-build.161335/
delray. i read and re read the article many times. awesome work. every time i see one off you guys doing stuff like that i miss all the machines at my old job in jersey two lathes two mills. tubing benders. tigs migs plasma cutters the works.

delray

To what Delray said, the Briggs 18lb flat head springs cut can be used, but only with the stock retainers. if you’re going to use the aluminum Dynocam retainers, you need to use the animal springs. Animal springs are the right height as the aluminum retainers make using a stock length spring impossible.

And yes the Briggs Flathead Springs cut with stock retainers does work pretty well. and is an extremely low cost solution
not sure how this would be extremely low cost solution.
the briggs #18 flathead springs are 2.45ea . same price as the animal spring and the only thing extra you would have to buy are the retainers and keepers and that's just only $14 more you have to spend and you get a positive full lock style keeper that won't fail under extreme rpm's 6-7000 rpm's.
also don't think I would want to be cutting the briggs #18 spring down and then installing it into roughly .800 spring height(installed) with all them coils much closer I would think your coil bend would be very close. not giving you a lot of safe travel. it might still work, it would be close.
personally I would spend the extra $14....cheap insurance....:scooter:

https://imgbb.com/]

[/URL]
[/URL][/url]

cfh

Well it's $14 for the keepers but you still have to have them machined. that costs money and time (unless you have a lathe). The briggs flathead springs used with STOCK keepers works fine. (that web page above shows compression lengths so you can double check.) But i'm not an RPM monster like you. at 5000 i'm thinking that's all i ever want...

Well it's $14 for the keepers but you still have to have them machined. that costs money and time (unless you have a lathe). The briggs flathead springs used with STOCK keepers works fine. (that web page above shows compression lengths so you can double check.) But i'm not an RPM monster like you. at 5000 i'm thinking that's all i ever want...[/QUOTE

as far as i understand the retainers inner lip has to be shaved so the spring will sit on it correctly. the keepers or locks what ever you want to cal them don't need any attention. please tell me i am understanding this. anthony.

delray

as far as i understand the retainers inner lip has to be shaved so the spring will sit on it correctly. the keepers or locks what ever you want to cal them don't need any attention. please tell me i am understanding this. anthony.
correct,that should be easy for you to do.

delray

Well it's $14 for the keepers but you still have to have them machined. that costs money and time (unless you have a lathe). The briggs flathead springs used with STOCK keepers works fine. (that web page above shows compression lengths so you can double check.) But i'm not an RPM monster like you. at 5000 i'm thinking that's all i ever want...
really... don't want to rev it pass 5000. thats no fun.....lol 245 dyno cam is rated at 6500 rpm's in a ohh motor. in a flathead i would say little higher when set up correct.

Ha! I’m just a little paranoid about these super high RPMs
ok. it took all 6 hours with apple tea to fix my iPhoto. i posted a video on youtube of my exhaust valve wobble in the guide. please look at it and tell me what you think. type in. [ tecumseh exhaust valve excessive play youtube ] thanks anthony.