Low-buck Doodlebug with Snowblower Engine

DaddyJohn

I got this chassis a ways back in a package deal with some other stuff, and finally found a way to motivate it. The PO had previously mounted a Predator 212 (poorly) at some point, so the motor plate was pretty hacked-up, and the steering bearings were trashed. He had also cut off the rear grab rail, the foot peg mounts had been torn off, and the fenders were garbage. Otherwise, it was looking reasonably good...

Cut to several months later, and my brother-in-law dropped a free snow blower off at my door, thinking I might like to fix it for use. After seeing so many cool vintage minis with Tecumseh engines, I decided to take the H40 off the blower and see how it looked on the Doodlebug. Answer is, "kinda" like a real vintage mini! :p

Anyway, a new clutch, new Tecumseh mini bike throttle linkage, new eBay carb, a set of vintage Yamaha passenger footpegs and mounts welded on, custom motor plate, custom number plate, custom clutch guard, custom chain guard, and custom air cleaner mount (with eBay pod filter), and she was ready to rock! I did take the blower housing off, welded the primer bulb hole shut, painted it, and added the decals (the Ruttman decal is more of an homage than anything, not going to fool anyone, lol... ). I had to bend the choke lever to the other side, then fold it back at an angle to get the swing right on it. I topped it off with an old climate control knob off a 60's Chrysler or something. The custom dash panel mounts the original Indak key switch from the snow blower, and an old Monte Carlo badge I had in the tool box. Add a rabbit's foot keychain, dice valve stem caps, and a motorcycle reflector in the rear (for safety, lol), and that's pretty much it!

Attachments

cfh

Looks good. You got to have those forks been back to stock position though. Also I’m not sure I would’ve had a chain guard that said 170cc. Around here at least if you’re under 50cc it’s considered a moped and it needs no licensing to drive on the street. I don’t know maybe change that so cops don’t hassle you?

DaddyJohn

Looks good. You got to have those forks been back to stock position though. Also I’m not sure I would’ve had a chain guard that said 170cc. Around here at least if you’re under 50cc it’s considered a moped and it needs no licensing to drive on the street. I don’t know maybe change that so cops don’t hassle you?
Not too much of an issue for our usage, but makes sense. Was trying to imply a sense of awesomeness (lol...) by displaying the ‘big’ engine size. You know, compared to a Honda 70 or something. :D

Oldyellow

Thats friggin awesome. I love it when I guy does stuff like that. I have one of those bikes but really like the vintage stuff. Now I know what I’m going to do with it. Thanks for the post!

Oldyellow

I’ve never seen a Briggs in one of those ... nicely done , I love those flatheads and the hydraulic brake is brilliant. It’s one thing to go fast another to stop when you need to. Where did the front end come from? looks like a great improvement.