Here is a pic of me & my ol'lady on my Shovelhead, riding down I 70 in the Mountain's around Avon Col. in 1989 ,, before Sturgis.

I74

Gets windy up there. I seen guys lean their bikes into the wind just trying to stay upright. Beautiful country though. Cool pic.
Thanks, :)

The worst winds I ever experienced , was riding west up I-70 between Morrison & Golden,, & leaning ''hard left'' into the wind.
I remember a big gust picked me up & literally moved me into the other lane !
''Very freaky stuff'' ! :eek:

Just ran across your post and it brought back memories of riding my Harley in the early 80s all around Boulder, I - 70 West to Grand Junction, Canyon Lands (Utah) and just about everyplace on the Continental Divide and Western Slope of Colorado. Talk about wind and let me tell you about I - 80 from Cheyenne westbound (the wind apparently never stops in Wyoming) on a trip I took (June 1980) to Banff National Park/Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada. Seventeen days on the road, thought I died and went to heaven!!

I74

Just ran across your post and it brought back memories of riding my Harley in the early 80s all around Boulder, I - 70 West to Grand Junction, Canyon Lands (Utah) and just about everyplace on the Continental Divide and Western Slope of Colorado. Talk about wind and let me tell you about I - 80 from Cheyenne westbound (the wind apparently never stops in Wyoming) on a trip I took (June 1980) to Banff National Park/Lake Louise in Alberta, Canada. Seventeen days on the road, thought I died and went to heaven!!
Good chance I might of seen you on the roads ect. back then :)….
That whole mountain range around I- 70 from the front range to - ''Glenwood Springs/Aspen'' ect. ,, was pretty much, my stomp'n grounds.

Took ''a bunch '' of rides to Grand Junction also.

Hands down the absolute ''best'' tires for mountain riding ect. on Harley's,, is '' Metzeler's ''. ;)
If Metzeler made Mini bike tires,, they would be on both our bikes.

Also went thru Wyoming a few times back & forth,, to & from Sturgis.

Always ran ''Accel'' point ignition on my Shovel, & had reference marks on my timing plate,, to advance & retard the timing for the different altitudes.
Each mark was a 1* degree increment, & for every 3000 ft. elevation increase,, I would advance the timing around 1* degree.

Mountain riding & driving,, definitely improves ones riding & driving skills ''real quick''.

I

Last edited:
Sounds like you had that ignition timing down to a science. Aint nothing like riding a motorcycle in mountain country for sharpening your survival/safety instincts. I swear that I had the ability to read minds--like knowing the guy in front of you is going to change lanes w/o signaling! Or this guy approaching a 4-way stop is not going to stop!

I74

Honing a good 6th sense, definitely helps from potentially getting put in the dirt.
A few guardian Angels & a bit of luck,, ''for sure'' helps also......

P/S,,
Welcome to OldMiniBikes, Docdng ! :)

I rode thru Grand Junction on the way back from Sturgis. Beautiful Area 3093687B-499C-4224-9E79-89B857D12690.jpeg

I74

Man,, you look familiar,, Joe.

Am originally from the Bay area.
Last time I was out there was 87'.
Went on the Redwood run that year also.
Also,, ''Ted's B-day party'' @ the ''Oasis'' / Clear lake, ect. ect.
I was all over the place,, from Sac. up, & all points East & west.
''Great times'' !!!

The sticker on my derby cover, is from the ''World national motorcycle drags'' in Sac. that year.
It was a real treat to see ''Clyde Rawlings'' rip that ''Baddest a$$'' Nitro Shovel of all time !
That frigg'n bike would make your heart skip just listening to it idle !!
Keith Ruxton pretty much built the engines for him, & also built the engines for the Easy Rider streamliner.

Scooter world,, is a ''very'' small world. ;)

Kick'n Shovel ! :cool:

P/S,, like that Poker run poster. ;)

Ian

Last edited:

I74

Here is a couple of pic's of Clyde's bike. ''Great Dude'', & ''Man'',, could that Guy frigg'n ride !!
SHOPPHOTOSFROMTHE90S337.jpg
SHOPPHOTOSFROMTHE90S338.jpg

Yes sir, that Joe looks like a fellow we might have run into on some run between Sturgis and Colorado. And he has a hell of a shop full of toys too--what a guy!! Glad I got to connect with you fellows on this site. I don't ride too far anymore but this Fat Boy does get out on his Fat Boy every now and then. Nice pics guys.