18 lb valve springs

Newb here, ok so with my Coleman BT200x, stock Hisun engine ive cut the throttle stop screw, stage 1 kit (header, air intake,. 38 jet). Id like to add 18lb springs as well. What i want to know is what are my exact valve lash settings for the intake and exhaust? I also plan on removing governor eventually. Please dont advise me on gettimg a predator engine or TAV as im not doing either. Thanks all.

old shed finds

Newb here, ok so with my Coleman BT200x, stock Hisun engine ive cut the throttle stop screw, stage 1 kit (header, air intake,. 38 jet). Id like to add 18lb springs as well. What i want to know is what are my exact valve lash settings for the intake and exhaust? I also plan on removing governor eventually. Please dont advise me on gettimg a predator engine or TAV as im not doing either. Thanks all.
The TAV would more than anything increase your power and bike performance that most of this swapping your doing but we won't talk you into it....

SAS289

The TAV would more than anything increase your power and bike performance that most of this swapping your doing but we won't talk you into it....
For what he is doing there so far, not installing a TAV is the right choice.

But I wouldn't do what he is going to do without a rod and flywheel.

Cuda54

You will need to up grade your rod and flywheel too. Or it will blow up on you! And for a Hisun engine I have no clue what spring will fit it or flywheel and rod. I would get a engine with known parts up grades. And if you remove the governor the flywheel can blow apart or the rod will break. And you will have a junk engine fast. But $100 engine to start with all known upgrades really would be the way to go. And remember your leg will be by the flywheel when it blows apart.

SAS289

You mean gov removal?
Yes. Governor removal plus 18 pound springs plus stage one can get you to 7000 RPM with the stock jackshaft.

These engines are just utility engines. With a rod, a lighter flywheel, and a stage 1 kit they are turned into mini bike and go kart engines. They are then a better engine whether you intend to run at 7000 RPM ungoverned or only 4000 RPM governed.

SAS289

You will need to up grade your rod and flywheel too. Or it will blow up on you! And for a Hisun engine I have no clue what spring will fit it or flywheel and rod. I would get a engine with known parts up grades. And if you remove the governor the flywheel can blow apart or the rod will break. And you will have a junk engine fast. But $100 engine to start with all known upgrades really would be the way to go. And remember your leg will be by the flywheel when it blows apart.
The Hisuns are a clone with a 16mm PTO and a plastic cam gear. Other than that they are a pretty good clone IMO. They used to be a true clone with a 3/4" PTO until Coleman decided to use a different clutch.

All GX200 and clone parts will work on the Hisun. You can build it just like any other 196. I noticed that the stock intake and exhaust openings on the Hisun head seemed to be a fraction larger than on a stock 196 Greyhound head. Also the starting point "piston in the hole" for the Hisun was less than the 196 Greyhound possibly giving it a tad more compression stock.

When I opened up my Greyhounds before they were ran they were loaded with metal bits and shavings. When I opened my 2 Hisuns they were completely clean inside with a little assembly oil.

FatBuddyCat

20200611_173235.jpg Nothing wrong with a Hisun. Does yours have a 3/4 inch crank yet? That is the best $40 upgrade you can do. If you leave the governor, I recommend you use a 37 jet, 140 emulsion tube, 8 degree flywheel key, Autolite 3910x plug, billet intake and a long header. 18# Springs will give it some snap too but if you bypass the governor with a zip tie i would be sure to get a flywheel and rod in the mix. Removing the governor with the stock 196 cam isn't that impressive anyway. I fully built mine for 7,000rpm and 12-15 hp. It is my favorite motor so far. My Predator 212 Hemi is growing on me too but its got some coin tied up in it to get there. You want to set your intake a little tighter, .002.

Nah. I just added the key and it seemed to get a faster ignition. When I added the PVL I went with a 4 degree to get closer to the 32 the cam wanted. Without the key I noticed more lag in acceleration. I was running a 38 jet with stock timing and mildly loading. With the stock cam, a 37 jet and the 8 degrees (stock flywheel) i got the best result. I tried the pk1b carb without the key too and that was ugly. It's not a total game changer but it helps. I wish I had saved a lot of hassle and bought an ARC with the 32 built in to be absolutely honest. Governor or not that is a beast flywheel as far as improving ignition!

Ok so 18 lb springs installed, gov spring zip tied so it 1/2 way opens and got 31 mph without risking the blown flywheel. I ride off road so i dont need more speed... Thanks all