Predator swap Coleman BT200X

Hey all. I have a customer that is wanting to swap a 212 non hemi into his BT200X. He's a couple states away and I want to make sure I order everything I need in one go. I know he has a 5/8" shaft on his current engine so the clutch needs to be changed out but other than that what issues will I run into? Will the plate that holds the jackshaft mount up to the predator like it does the stock engine? Are there any clearance issues? Will spacers or mounting plates or anything like that be needed? Hardware?

Thanks in advance.

mustangfrank

Hey all. I have a customer that is wanting to swap a 212 non hemi into his BT200X. He's a couple states away and I want to make sure I order everything I need in one go. I know he has a 5/8" shaft on his current engine so the clutch needs to be changed out but other than that what issues will I run into? Will the plate that holds the jackshaft mount up to the predator like it does the stock engine? Are there any clearance issues? Will spacers or mounting plates or anything like that be needed? Hardware?

Thanks in advance.
You do this for a living and you're asking these questions?

You do this for a living and you're asking these questions?
So that's the kind of forum this is? First off I don't do this for a living. Not even remotely. I sell built engines on the side at thin margins to give myself an excuse to tinker and I'm trying to help this guy out with his bike. No, I've never tried to bolt an OE Coleman jackshaft plate to a 212. I'm more of a slap an engine on a rusty craigslist frame kind of guy. If this is such obvious information you think you could point me in the right direction or what?

SAS289

That's a quick and direct swap with no clearance issues. You need a clutch, and the hardware to bolt on the clutch and jackshaft.

Too bad he didn't get a hemi. The Hisun gas tank would have bolted right on. The Hisun tank is nice with the offset fill. You may be able to modify it to fit. If not the Predator tank works.

Just match the throttle arrangement from the Hisun to the 212. And use the small throttle return spring that's on the 212. It can be used along with the worn type push spring on the throttle cable.

You should be able to figure out the low oil disconnect that is needed on the 212. You could plug the handle bar kill switch into the plug you disconnect from the low oil sensor wiring. Then connect ground to one of the tank bolts. Leave the switch on the engine in the on position to use the kill switch on the handlebar as the primary kill switch.

Last edited:
That's a quick and direct swap with no clearance issues. You need a clutch, and the hardware to bolt on the clutch and jackshaft.

Too bad he didn't get a hemi. The Hisun gas tank would have bolted right on. The Hisun tank is nice with the offset fill. You may be able to modify it to fit. If not the Predator tank works.
Thanks for that. This is what I thought until I saw a YouTube video about a CT200U which talked about a clearance issue with one of the heat shields. Also the mounting bolts are different sizes. This is fine, just minor issues but I just want to be sure I have all my minor issues covered ahead of time.

Last edited:

mustangfrank

So that's the kind of forum this is? First off I don't do this for a living. Not even remotely. I sell built engines on the side at thin margins to give myself an excuse to tinker and I'm trying to help this guy out with his bike. No, I've never tried to bolt an OE Coleman jackshaft plate to a 212. I'm more of a slap an engine on a rusty craigslist frame kind of guy. If this is such obvious information you think you could point me in the right direction or what?
I asked a question because I thought it was odd that you would be doing an engine swap for a "customer" two states away without experience doing it or even laying eyes on it, if your first response is to judge an entire forum I don't even know how to reply to that.

Personally I would do a TAV and lift plate with the engine swap all at one time so any fitment issues would be mute and the performance increase could be felt.

Last edited:

SAS289

I asked a question because I thought it was odd that you would be doing an engine swap for a "customer" two states away without experience doing it or even laying eyes on it, if your first response is to judge an entire forum I don't even know how to reply to that.

Personally I would do a TAV and lift plate with the engine swap all at one time so any fitment issues would be mute and the performance increase could be felt.
Agree. Would be worth getting the engine up an inch even if you don't have the TAV right away. When you do get the TAV it's a simple bolt on. If installed right away you save the cost of a clutch.

Last edited: