How to get flywheel off?

You need to measure the clearance between the flywheel and the engine block. The jaws on a 3-jaw puller may be too thick to go behind the flywheel.
I would buy a Can of KROIL and soak the shaft going into the fly wheel for at least 24 hours. Then try the hammer method.
It has always worked for me in the past.

If you need the puller and it will fit, put tension on the three jaws and smak the center bolt with the hammer, the shock should jar the flywheel free.
If your shaft is rusted on, you may need to use heat as well.

1971_MB1A

Is it safe to put oil in the fly wheel? View attachment 271521
If you want to be sure not to damage anything,just have someone pull on it hard,steady,and evenly by hand while you hold a piece of round brass stock over the shaft and hit the brass fairly hard with a hammer a few times and it should pop right off. If that does not work for some reason you could use a small hand held air hammer gun with a round tapered point bit or a cut off flush bit and again have someone pull on it hard,steady,and evenly by hand while you vibrate it loose with the air hammer briefly and it should pop right off.

I74

Think those work the same as the Briggs/ Tec. ones that I used in small engine shops, & still have them.
You screw them down till they bottom out, & then unscrew them 1/4 turn.
Then use a heel bar ''or two'', &/or hardwood wedges ect. between flywheel & case with ''slight'' pressure,, & tap the tool with a hammer.
A couple of light smacks usually does it.;)

Last edited:
I usually do the pry with a screwdriver and hit the crank with a hammer method. I did break some fins off of one case doing it that way though. Have had to use a 3 jaw puller before too.