Hitch mount bike carrier for mini bike?

race

Just wondering if any of you are using a hitch mount bicycle carrier that also works for a mini bike? I don't have a truck and need to buy a new bike carrier anyway so figured it would be a nice easy way to transport the minibike as well.

I will be looking over the different brands but figured some of you might already have found one that works.

Kuat Sherpa 2.0.jpg
Kuat Sherpa 2.0

Typical bike carrier design is the Kuat which are very popular now. As far as weight, would like to think they will all handle a 70-80 pound mini bike. Problem will be securing the bike. Yeah, with enough tie-downs you can probably secure anything on any carrier but would like to use as much of the original design as possible so I don't have to spend 20 minutes undoing a dozen tie-downs every time.

race

Thanks guys. I am familiar with the motorcycle racks as originally I was hoping to use one to carry my dirt bike. Unfortunately, the new RAV4 Hybrid I have is a wimpy Class II with a tongue weight limit of 175 lbs. So no dirt bike on the back. :(

Figured I would use a lighter, more purpose designed, bicycle rack that could do double duty for the mini bike as well.

I used the same thing with ratchet strap binders and it worked out very well. Even had enough space for a tool box and gas can too. I did cover the bottom with plywood for a smooth surface.

Last edited:
This is the one I use for windber...it has a ramp and will hold up to 49” and 550 lbs....be sure to get a stablizer so it doesn’t rattle and sway C6792E09-38EA-4A8E-A933-37E207915B9A.jpeg

desert rat

This is the one I use for windber...it has a ramp and will hold up to 49” and 550 lbs....be sure to get a stablizer so it doesn’t rattle and sway View attachment 273633
Hey Skipp it looks like you need to push those poles out like I did on my place in LA. I can get a dulley up in the driveway with two bikes parked next to the house. Got to use steel not aluminium.

Attachments

race

https://quikrstuff.com/the-quikrstuff-mach2-bike-rack-and-add-ons/

Quik Rack Mach2.jpg

Well, it looks like this might work for both mountain bikes, e-bikes ... and minibikes. Super light and strong, single tray handles 120 lbs. A snap to put on or take off. Stores easily with small footprint.

But ... it's big $$$, especially if you want to carry two bikes, questions on dealing with fenders, questions on availability (it's a new start-up), will they be around for parts / service? , no dealer network, probably have to improvise a gas can with tie downs somewhere, etc.

I believe I'd go with something stronger.

You'll be over max weight with 2 mini bikes, with no capacity for the weight of the gas can.

For more versatility, have you considered a small utility trailer ?

That would keep the tongue weight down, and offer much more capacity.

race

The whole point of this thread was to not have to purchase - and store - two separate racks / carriers. I need something to carry a mountain bike but also the occasional mini bike transport. I have a full two wheel/ two rail trailer but that is a pain to drag out, hitch and way over kill for a single minibike. I use it for my dirt bike or street bike.

The RAV4 Hybrid is rated a Class II. Probably due to uni-body construction. It's not like I can convert it into a Class III.

I estimate my Taco 44 with a WB 820 somewhere between 60-80 pounds? I'm Guessing here ... when it is finally built I can weigh it. Add a jug of gas and you should still be good for 120 pounds. The Mach 2 rack should handle that. I don't anticipate carrying a second mini bike.

It's all a balance between cost, storage space in the garage and just being able to find something in stock. Bike stores are completely cleaned out.