New guy here

nightgrider

Would this work if I welded a different header? It’s for a 2 stroke China kit. I have it laying around
I wouldn't suggest using the 2 stroke muffler. Depending on the muffler type. I've heard the packing is different between 2 and 4 stroke and a 2 stroke muffler can get too hot on a 4 stroke engine. But I've never personally tried it. If you are willing to weld. Hot dog 4 stroke mufflers are pretty cheep and you can weld the correct thread black pipe coupler on to a header to allow it to easily screw on and off.

nightgrider

I can weld but not well. Anyone with real welding experience would point, laugh and throw chipping hammers at me
Unless you're looking for show quality, a weld that doesn't leak is good enough. You can always grind down the weld to pretty it up. That's what I do. I'm no professional welder, I just need it to be functional. Ha ha

I wouldn't suggest using the 2 stroke muffler. Depending on the muffler type. I've heard the packing is different between 2 and 4 stroke and a 2 stroke muffler can get too hot on a 4 stroke engine. But I've never personally tried it. If you are willing to weld. Hot dog 4 stroke mufflers are pretty cheep and you can weld the correct thread black pipe coupler on to a header to allow it to easily screw on and off.
Would this count as a hot dog muffler?

Attachments

SAS289

Last year I fabbed an exhaust for my 196 and used a glass packed silencer of unknown name brand that I had laying around. The hottest part is where the pipe enters the silencer. Not sure yet if it will be an issue or not, but the silencer is repackable and I haven't lost any of the high temp paint I used. The header is only 3/4".

I replaced the efi with a carb and I have a different air filter on it. That leaves a hole in the valve cover. Can I plug that or is it necessary? I can always put on the old air box if it’s absolutely necessary

nightgrider

A lot of people just put a breather on the valve cover. I believe it servers to resuscitate and burn crankcase fumes. Similar to a pcv valve on older vehicle engines.

I put the new carb on but when it starts it runs for a few seconds then dies. I fiddled with the air mix screw but not much else. It’s obviously a fuel issue, I just have to figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I rode it today for the first time and I lived to tell about it! Nice torque. I didn’t take it too fast since I was just in my neighborhood. The handeling feels a little wonky but I’ll get used to it.

I do need to figure out the air filter position because right now The location prevents me from using the foot brake.

So far so good

Here is what I did:
Torque converter
Billet flywheel
Replaced the efi with a carb
Replaced the air box with a filter
Removed the governor

I rode it again today. Took it to 45 but then ran outta room (I live in an urban area so not many long roads to test it) it had plenty more to give. I’m confident 55 isnt an unrealistic goal. Brakes need to be adjusted or replaced...49 year old brake shoes need a little tlc or replacement.

I had to get rid of the air filter for now and put on the original air box. An old scooter trick is to drill a whole or 2 in the air box. My plug looks a little black. Maybe I’m a little rich.