Speedway Tanks

I have two Speedway tanks. The red one came off my 1971 Shrike. The Orange one came off what I thought was also a 1971, but now I'm not sure. Note that while both tanks join either side of the frame with nuts and bolts, the red one joins my 1971 with a single tab at the back, which bolts into the top of the frame. The orange one, however, has no tab, but instead joins the frame at the back with two nuts/bolts on either side of the frame. Problem is, the orange one is sooooo much cleaner than the red one. I'd like to use it on my 1971, but I'd also like my bike to be correct. Any thoughts on this?
IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0983.JPG IMG_0982.JPG IMG_0983.JPG

joshua. c.

fill it with rocks or something sharp edged and some water and start shaking. it turns out looking like you sand blasted it. clean it out thoroughly after, dry it and keep it in a dry place until its time to fill it with gas.

minibikefever

fill it with cider vinegar to the top and put a bunch of nuts in it and let it sit up to 24 hours shaking it all around several times to loosen the heavier rust empty it and rinse it with warm soap water and rinse several times with clear hot water and dry it completely with a blow dryer then the inside needs to be coated asap with a product called por-15, it will leave a nice silver protective layer inside and seals it and looks good, you only need to purchase the small can for one tank and you don't need to waste your money on the prep because you already did it, I would purchase the por-15 before I cleaned the tank and seal it right after you blow dry it, good luck with your project....

fill it with cider vinegar to the top and put a bunch of nuts in it and let it sit up to 24 hours shaking it all around several times to loosen the heavier rust empty it and rinse it with warm soap water and rinse several times with clear hot water and dry it completely with a blow dryer then the inside needs to be coated asap with a product called por-15, it will leave a nice silver protective layer inside and seals it and looks good, you only need to purchase the small can for one tank and you don't need to waste your money on the prep because you already did it, I would purchase the por-15 before I cleaned the tank and seal it right after you blow dry it, good luck with your project....
If memory serves me, and, at my age, it more frequently fails me, por stands for paint over rust

i thought it was the other way? the metal tab on the back used 71/72. the side two bolt-through tank design used in 73?
No. They done away with the 71 style tank immediately in 72 along with frame, seat, driven, larger axle, handlebar and fork re-design, the rear tank tab was cracking on the 71 style and this was reason for change. The 72, 73 wa basically the same besides decals and riveted serial tag on 73 instead of frame stamp. They also dropped several models in 73