Plastic mtd fuel tank

kayde

Is there any other way around these tank grommets.

It appears like the seam doesn't let the grommet seal the hole completely and i keep getting a minor drip.

I've tried two different brand grommets one was a bit harder than the other they were both new and two different barbs.

Attachments

mustangfrank

It appears like the seam doesn't let the grommet seal the hole completely and i keep getting a minor drip.

I've tried two different brand grommets one was a bit harder than the other they were both new and two different barbs.
I think you can order an MTD part number still for the seal, used on MTD gas tools. Can't remember part number but it was flanged rubber or Viton, shaped like a bronze bushing, the shutoff valve or elbow/tube installed keeps it from pulling out.

kayde

Both the grommets i bought measured the same as the one in the pinterest link, thank you that is a great read.
I bought both brands of grommets hoping one was bigger.

The tank hole could be a bit smaller, it doesn't look like it's been opened up any.
That seam in the tank really doesn't help matters, also where the bushing seats on the tank is not flat either.

I like the tire stem idea and that's sorta along the lines of the kinda fix I'm looking for.
Does the rubber on the stem hold up too fuel? Non ethanol i suppose.

I wasn't sure if there was a fuel safe fitting out there that would sandwich the tank bottom like the tire valve.

Attachments

kayde

Picked up and tried out a metal valve stem.
The fella gave me a extra rubber piece for the stem that is slightly larger than what came on it...guessing different size stem hole in rims.

Not knowing what gas will do too the rubber on the stem I decided to use one of the grommets I previously bought and surprised I had a great tite fit on the stem and into the tank.

With a string I fed the stem in from the inside and snugged it down
Going from just a lil' snug too tite enough too distort the flat washer.

Still dripping.

I tried a few different ways and still couldn't get the drip to go away.

Even fed the grommet from the inside of the tank but that didnt leave me any threads left too catch.

The "v" bottom shape of the inside bottom of the tank, it not being flat and the thick seam are all working agaisnt a good seal.

I found some bulk head fitting online I gotta pick one and get it ordered and that will be my next try.

Attachments

desert rat

Try putting hot water in the tank with the stem in place and tight. This will relax the plastic and rubber. Is it possible you have a crack in the tank? To me the tank looks good. Ya got to figure these hold air which can get out of any imperfection. On the outside rubber does it have any
"cone "on it or is it flat? If the cone is still on cut it down buy half and try again. After you get it in place leave it in the sun for a day so it gets hot that way then see if its still leaking. Your install looks good so you got to be close.

1971_MB1A

I've used a threaded nipple before with rubber and metal flat washers which seemed to work ok.

kayde

I totally missed the goop smeared on the bottom of this tank when I looked this bike over, a good coating of grime hid it very well.

When I finally decided to tackle the goop problem it practicality just peeled off and the tank cleaned up nicely afterwards.

Could it have been that easy.

It was then I looked the tank over fairly well and surprisingly didnt see much wrong with it beside a wore out leaky grommet.
A few of my "things" even my super bronc has one of these pesky grommets for the fuel outlet, they all appear to spec out about the same as whats described in the link, seems to be a universal part.

This evening i was explaining and showing my oldest boy the tank and he almost instantly pointed out a crack in the seam on both sides of the grommet hole, I didnt see them till he pried on the hole... holey craps how did I miss that.

I thank everyone for your suggestions so far, guess i gotta change gears here and start reading up on fixing cracks in plastic tanks.

Attachments

kayde

Thanks, ive never tried plastic welding, doesn't look too hard too do but since it's new too me I guess I got some learning and practice to do before I biff up a tank.