Got me a new kart today

NorCal

New seat, new race computer, and a ton of other stuff. Its expensive, but also a blast. I'm entering my first race series next week, wish me luck . . . I'm hooking up with some other veterans who also race.

Attachments

Last edited:

NorCal

I'm racing a local this weekend, its a modified class so I'll be in the rear as mine is stock class. But I just signed up for a regional race, will be competing in two classes (Senior Heavy and Masters). I just checked the registration page, and they already have 28 entries for regional (and growing) with people coming from as far as Minnesota and Iowa to come down here to Florida to compete.

Feel like a dead man walking . . . I just hope I don't get loose in the corners and take somebody out :eek:

Last edited:

I74

I'm racing a local this weekend, its a modified class so I'll be in the rear as mine is stock class. But I just signed up for a regional race, will be competing in two classes (Senior Heavy and Masters). I just checked the registration page, and they already have 28 entries for regional (and growing) with people coming from as far as Minnesota and Iowa to come down here to Florida to compete.

Feel like a dead man walking . . . I just hope I don't get loose in the corners and take somebody out :eek:
Just hang back, drive smooth & not to aggressive,, you'll be fine. ;)

Last edited:

toomanytoys

I'm jealous! I've wanted to race karts again since our local track shut down a decade ago.

My part of the stimulus check went to my bike projects. Not sure what my wife did with hers. The 3 kids spent theirs on a 5 day Disney trip.

NorCal

All my stimulus checks went into savings, one went into the kart. I still have no idea why people who are working and didn't experience a work interuption got them. But hey, I'll stimulate the economy and do my part . . . ;)

I keep thinking about that old comedy bit by Jeff Foxworthy. This is why you can't give rednecks money . . . "Blue Stingray Boots!"

Last edited:

toomanytoys

All my stimulus checks went into savings, one went into the kart. I still have no idea why people who are working and didn't experience a work interuption got them. But hey, I'll stimulate the economy and do my part . . . ;)

I keep thinking about that old comedy bit by Jeff Foxworthy. This is why you can't give rednecks money . . . "Blue Stingray Boots!"
I said the same thing. We have gotten close to 15000 dollars from stimulus money. We have stimulated the economy! OldMiniBikes probably appreciates it...

I74

Haven't heard from you in a long time …...
Was hope'n for an update on how things are going with the 4 wheel beastie.

NorCal

Haven't heard from you in a long time …...
Was hope'n for an update on how things are going with the 4 wheel beastie.
My bad, thanks for checking in . . .

Participated in the regional race, and someone wrecked into me on the qualifying lap causing alot of damage. The level of competition was way above my pay grade, so kart being hurt or not, I wouldn't have been that competitive in either event. I was less than one second off the leaders during practice, so I was hopeful, but after the wreck it was al down hill from there. Which is okay, I'm still learning.

Fast forward a month, and the next race (in the series) is two days away. Motor is off at the engine builder getting "the business" and I also popped for new aerodynamics. (Do what the fast guys are doing right!?)

Next race is at my home track, so I'm hopeful I'll be more competitive. (Fingers crossed)

It's funny. Going back to my first race. Being new at the sport, I was completely concerned that I'd make a mistake and cause a wreck. People have some serious $$$ wrapped into these karts. So I was always mindful of the fact ,thinking its not good to get too wreckless/ loose out there. I was beyond passive, very concerned that would be the case, and I would cause damage to another racers kart. It NEVER dawned on me that someone (more experienced) would wreck into ME and cause a wreck.

Live and learn. . .

Still having fun. Still learning. But its about as much fun as you can have an inch off the ground.

But is also an expensive hobby. At this point, it might have been cheaper to get my credit card stolen.

Attachments

Last edited:

I74

That new front end looks pretty pimp ! :cool:

I only ran once in a race Kart on a track, back in the later 90's,, & that was just against 1 other Guy.
They had a real nice road course track north of Denver Co., that you could rent ''Margay'' alcohol / Honda powered Karts,, & then get after it. :p
They supplied all the gear also.
It was a frigg'n blast,, & I remember being sore for about 2 days afterwards,, from straining muscles ect.
Was ''very'' expensive, but worth every penny,, & I would do it again in a heart beat. ;)
Now,, I would probably be sore for about a week... LOL

I

Last edited:

desert rat

I got out of dirt racing when in a 14 bike track they started 30 bikes 3 times. On the last start I used two bikes for a ramp 30/45 feet from the drops. The problem was a rider that kept "bumping" me against his buddy was just in the middle of the bikes and I put him in the hospital and to this day I don't know how he is. I will now only race drag 1/4 mile. I will never mix it up ever again. I will say if your not fighting for the front your a problem on the track, mash the loud stick or trailer up. Your ride is frickin awesome and you have done well.

NorCal

My last race with voice over. Just starting this YouTube Channel thing.

Did learn some more about my chassis. Turns out to be a 2017 that was a European 2 stroke chassis. I guess the ones made the following year that were produced in both Europe and the U.S. had design changes to make them a dedicated 4 stroke chassis. Mine is a 32mm with a 3rd bearing cassette. The newer ones are less "rebust" with 30mm chassis and no 3rd bearing cassette. So mine can run both a 4 stroke or a 2 stroke, where the new ones are dedicated 4 stroke only. Kinda cool. I had no idea. Not saying I'm going the 2 stroke route, but its nice to know I have the option. . .

Last edited:

I74

Very cool vid !!
Real bonus also,, that you got the more robust chassis with the 3rd bearing cassette.
That's the one I would personally want anyways.
I

NorCal

Very cool vid !!
Real bonus also,, that you got the more robust chassis with the 3rd bearing cassette.
That's the one I would personally want anyways.
I
Dang thing up and died out of nowhere right after I crossed the finish line. Better after the finish line than before it, but since I got the engine back from the builder, it doesn't idle very well and just wanted to die. From what I'm told that is normal for race engines, not wanting to idle, but I'm new to this and wasn't expecting it.

tempImageoRZgD0.jpg

Last edited:

I74

Dang thing up and died out of nowhere right after I crossed the finish line. Better after the finish line than before it, but since I got the engine back from the builder, it doesn't idle very well and just wanted to die. From what I'm told that is normal for race engines, not wanting to idle, but I'm new to this and wasn't expecting it.
Sounds like he's got it jetted to fat.

NorCal

My 8 year old daughter caught the bug after following me to the track. Now she has her own that she is learning on. Just practice laps at the moment, she isn't ready to race yet. Found her a used Arrow Kart with an Lo206 and a bunch of safety gear and parts for $1,600

Started her out doing gas-brake drills on the kart stand, so she could get used to the noise and vibration. Then I plopped her in the driveway with some cones.

This was her first track day (practice)