Paint or Powder Coat

Restoring an old Ruttman mini bike frame and hoping to make it really nice, show quality. Professional paint or powder coat - which is best? What are pros and cons of each? In my area, powder coat is cheaper than a good pro paint job.

desert rat

Powder coat is much easier to get full coverage. That being said I have painted three of my own frames with House of color top coat. PPG prep bases with 4 coats of speed clear. Those frames look like they are still wet. I don't think you can do that with powder coat. The paint would cost about $800.00 to $1000.00 each to have done the way I did them, I was a professional painter at the time. Each one of my spray guns were over $800.00 a piece. Paint can cost alot to have done. http://www.satausa.com/index.php?id=satajet4000bhvlp&L=11#ad-image-0

Attachments

Powder coat is much more durable….I’ve got the “wet” look out of powder….and as soon as it’s cooled down (usually15-20 minutes)you can assemble….I’ve dropped it banged it with wrenches when assembling still looks good….I do like paint too….The bonanza I just finished is paint….had to take it to a painter….only have about $250 in it…

Powder coat is much easier to get full coverage. That being said I have painted three of my own frames with House of color top coat. PPG prep bases with 4 coats of speed clear. Those frames look like they are still wet. I don't think you can do that with powder coat. The paint would cost about $800.00 to $1000.00 each to have done the way I did them, I was a professional painter at the time. Each one of my spray guns were over $800.00 a piece. Paint can cost alot to have done. http://www.satausa.com/index.php?id=satajet4000bhvlp&L=11#ad-image-0
Beautiful work!!!!

desert rat

I don't have much powder coat exp. but I will never paint another frame, I'm just over doing that much work and all the ones I have left to do will be riders.

desert rat

But that green is OUTTA CONTROL! As we pm'd bout it awhile back!
Not bad for someone that is color blind. I told my color development guy what I thought it should look like and he mixed the color. I just see how wet the coverage is. For you that don't know I do see color I'm just not seeing the colors you guys are. I am missing a color receptor, You have three I only have two. Weird right?

Addicted 2 Minis

A professional paint job at a body shop will not only cost you more, it will more than likely take longer to get back as well. Body shops don't really have time for such small jobs, therefore they get to it when they get to it, which is usually months later. Powder coat shops, well that's their main purpose so the turn around time is much less. A professional two-part paint job and powder coat will resist gasoline/chemicals whereas a rattle can job won't. Epoxy based paints and clear coat will increase the resistance to gasoline/chemicals but it will usually stain the affected area for the life of the paint job. If it's going to be a rider and you want it on the "cheap", I would just rattle can it and touch it up from time to time.

.... hoping to make it really nice, show quality. Professional paint or powder coat - which is best? ....
From a quality and durability perspective, powder coating wins every time. Far more durable and long lasting than paint. Of course, there are crappy powder coaters out there, but there are even more crappy painters. If you want it to last, use powder.

cfh

a lot of people use the "Illusion" candy colors powdercoat as it is far easier to get a consistently good finish. It requires the color coat, then a clear. When you do a silver or gold base and a translucent top coat (to get the same effect), it is very easy to screw up the powder coat. The Illusion colors make it far easier to get a top notch result.