Bearing Grease??

copyman

Hi,

What is best grease to use to repack the wheel bearings, something I can get at store locally?

I removed rear wheel on Hilltopper to change shocks and checked wheel bearings by taking that plastic cover off. There was hardly any grease and little that was there was hard.

Bearings wont come out without damaging them and still look good so was just going to repack them. Should I try parts clearer or something to get that hard grease out of the bearings or just pack? Or should I just buy new ones? Are they even available?

Thanks for the help!

mustangfrank

Hi,

What is best grease to use to repack the wheel bearings, something I can get at store locally?

I removed rear wheel on Hilltopper to change shocks and checked wheel bearings by taking that plastic cover off. There was hardly any grease and little that was there was hard.

Bearings wont come out without damaging them and still look good so was just going to repack them. Should I try parts clearer or something to get that hard grease out of the bearings or just pack? Or should I just buy new ones? Are they even available?

Thanks for the help!
Some new bearings don't have enough grease in them, been discussed on here. Wheel bearing grease from any auto parts store.

copyman

Thanks. I always forget to use the search feature here first before asking questions. Got to get into that habit. I'm sure there is a lot of archived information on here.

mustangfrank

Thanks. I always forget to use the search feature here first before asking questions. Got to get into that habit. I'm sure there is a lot of archived information on here.
I just mentioned it because it was a good catch by the original author, wouldn't have even thought of checking my new bearings before reading it. I'm not one of those old cranky forum guys that throws out "use the search feature" on frequently asked issues...it's an open discussion forum, not a closed archive.

Harquebus

You can repack them--that's what the frugal minded fella would do. Use the solvent of your choice and maybe a set of picks or toothpicks/bamboo skewers to get the grease out. If the dried grease is really stubborn, try cooking the bearings in a pot of kerosene/mineral spirits/diesel over low heat. Even a ultrasonic cleaner with heat function would work. Rinse, dry and repack.

Any old wheel bearing grease will do, I suppose, but I'm using Mystik JT6 Hi-Temp grease for everything else to include all bearing applications. Comes in 14 oz tubes (grease gun) and 1 qt tubs.

Just a little extra peace of mind on the specs as Spicer and Rockwell approve it for their universal joints (have old Jeep). But minibike wheels seem like a pretty high stress application--those tiny wheels spin an awful lot to cover the same ground a car or semi-truck wheel does.

Some new bearings don't have enough grease in them...
This is true, and when you break the seal and inspect some older bearings, it's as if they never had any to begin with. Shoddy quality control...

Last edited:

Addicted 2 Minis

Have you ever wondered what "Grease" is?. Well, it's a lubricant suspended in in something to make it thick, that something is usually clay!. Clay is a form of soil or dirt, isn't that what destroys bearings?, kinda funny how that works huh.

A bearing on the torque converters by the rear wheel gets sprayed with mud all the time.
Figure I'll soon have to clean and repack the bearing, or replace. In the meantime, I'd like to put a cover over it.