How would I make a predator 212 look vintage?

DaddyJohn

I ended up finding a Gx160 for really cheap so i ended up buying it and when I went to see how it mounts, everything mounted pretty good until the valve cover ended up running into the brake mount so, I guess ill have to keep looking for another motor. But thanks for the advice.
Maybe check out the Honda GC160. They’re pretty common on broken pressure washers, etc. and have a cool vertical cylinder design with a single OHC. They look pretty motorcyc-esque from the clutch side.

NorCal

I want to put a flathead on it but all of these old Briggs, and Tecumsehs rarely come up for sale around me.
Ebay buddy! The last few engines I got were very reasonable in price, and I think the most I paid for shipping was $30 from coast to coast. Costs seem to vary, but the last three I purchased (in running condition) ranged from $85-$160. Even the one that the seller claimed didn't run, started on the second pull after putting fresh gas in it.

Here's one:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335845805&icep_item=333853502707

5HP Tec for $150 with free shipping. Seller accepts "best offers" so make and offer at and see what they counter back with . . . I usually slim down my search criteria this way.

Last edited:

nightgrider

I'm not as familiar with the flo jet style briggs carb, but you'll probably have to snip end of the cable so it can be screwed to the throttle linkage. I like to solder the end of the cable I snip to keep it from fraying.

Screenshot_20210202-135947_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

old shed finds

I am thinking of putting a predator 212 on an old mini bike but, i want to do a restoration on the bike. I want the power of a 212, but the look of an old vintage bike. Does anyone know of any good ideas of making a 212 look vintage?
Keep that briggs or Tec keep it looking right 212 swap almost always required the frame to be modified. .. Cut bent. A engine will show up..... Lawn Edger.Tiller.adds are best way to find them..

Fourtogo

Scale wise the 212 is much smaller looking engine. Your Flat engine fills the frame proportionally , Yeah a flat head doesn’t thrill a lot folks in power department. A 212 is great engine for the $ . None of my minis are what most people have . The DB Motv Coleman’s seem to be the common range for rollers .

nightgrider

I know you've already moved on to another engine. But I figured I'd post as there aren't many good reference photos of an all white predator. I finally completed painting my predator 212 with custom decals. I think it looks pretty good in my Fox Campus frame.

Attachments

toomanytoys

That turned out pretty good! I've been trying to decide on a color combo for my coleman powder coat. Haven't figured it out yet. Purple frame, silver wheels and forks. Might just make the engine shroud match the wheels and forks.

Harquebus

I think the example in post #28 looks the most "vintage".

These clone engines are just so ugly if left stock. The basic cylinder arrangement is OK {you're stuck with it}, but the identical squarish blobs on the rear {the muffler and the air cleaner assembly} should be changed out for alternatives, preferably metal.

Painting the whole engine block is key, cooling fins and all. White, copper, gold, or any of the old colors. Even some of the Evinrude and Johnson (outboard motors) paint colors would work. Paint whatever air cleaner assembly you end up with the same color as the block and same for the exhaust, with a heat resistant paint or just let it burn off.

toomanytoys

These clone engines are just so ugly if left stock. The basic cylinder arrangement is OK {you're stuck with it}, but the identical squarish blobs on the rear {the muffler and the air cleaner assembly}
I love the look of post #28 but if you plan on riding the bike that tecumseh style air cleaner is going to be a problem. I'd have torn it off already on my bikes. I've replaced 3 cone filters so far due to smashing them. But that bike is ridden hard.

nightgrider

These clone engines are just so ugly if left stock. The basic cylinder arrangement is OK {you're stuck with it}, but the identical squarish blobs on the rear {the muffler and the air cleaner assembly} should be changed out for alternatives, preferably metal.

Painting the whole engine block is key, cooling fins and all. White, copper, gold, or any of the old colors. Even some of the Evinrude and Johnson (outboard motors) paint colors would work. Paint whatever air cleaner assembly you end up with the same color as the block and same for the exhaust, with a heat resistant paint or just let it burn off.
@Harquebus I agree the stock predator air cleaner assembly and muffler are very ugly. My future plans are to weld up a custom exhaust for this engine. Something that harkens back to vintage Rupp/Fox exhaust.

I love the look of post #28 but if you plan on riding the bike that tecumseh style air cleaner is going to be a problem. I'd have torn it off already on my bikes. I've replaced 3 cone filters so far due to smashing them. But that bike is ridden hard.
@toomanytoys I completely agree. I love the way a Tecumseh style air cleaner looks, but worry about how far it would stick out on a predator engine. Like all the smashed pod filters you see on "stage 1" predator builds online. That's why I stuck with the stock airbox for now, it is more compact. I've considered using a Briggs flo-jet style airbox and a custom intake made to fit a predator. Maybe something for the future.

I've got some ideas how you could make a predator look more vintage, but in all honestly it would end up costing more to put together than just buying a period correct flathead Tecumseh or Briggs. So unless I just stumble across some parts engines for free. I'll probably never piece together that build.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

[USER=22352]@toomanytoys
I completely agree. I love the way a Tecumseh style air cleaner looks, but worry about how far it would stick out on a predator engine. Like all the smashed pod filters you see on "stage 1" predator builds online. That's why I stuck with the stock airbox for now more compact. I've considered using a Briggs flo-jet style airbox and a custom intake made to fit a predator. Maybe something for the future.

I've got some ideas how you could make a predator look more vintage, but in all honestly it would end up costing more to put together than just buying a period correct flathead Tecumseh or Briggs. So unless I just stumble across some parts engines for free. I'll probably never piece together that build.

Not hard to smash em! At least they are cheap.

On the bikes I build today I much prefer Predator, ducar or tillotson. Coleman frames are a dime a dozen on Craigslist.

I did plenty of tecumseh builds

I still have a NOS HS50 with lighting coil and HM80 on the shelf. Both have homes if I ever need a new engine for my hill topper or super bronc. Plus in my crawl space I have numerous 3.5 to 5hp tecumseh engines I have accumulated over the last 15 years. From complete to parts engines.

nightgrider

Not hard to smash em! At least they are cheap.

On the bikes I build today I much prefer Predator, ducar or tillotson. Coleman frames are a dime a dozen on Craigslist.

I did plenty of tecumseh builds

I still have a NOS HS50 with lighting coil and HM80 on the shelf. Both have homes if I ever need a new engine for my hill topper or super bronc. Plus in my crawl space I have numerous 3.5 to 5hp tecumseh engines I have accumulated over the last 15 years. From complete to parts engines.
I totally understand. I grew up around and loved flat head Briggs. I still love the look of a Tecumseh or Briggs in mini bike frame, regardless of year. But I do like the modern engines capabilities as well. This is my first predator 212 and I'm overall really pleased with it, the easiest starting pull start I've had.

toomanytoys

I totally understand. I grew up around and loved flat head Briggs. I still love the look of a Tecumseh or Briggs in mini bike frame, regardless of year. But I do like the modern engines capabilities as well. This is my first predator 212 and I'm overall really pleased with it, the easiest starting pull start I've had.
All mine start first pull with full choke quickly switching it off.

I was never a fan until I used one! I still couldnt bring myself to throw one on a rupp or other vintage bike. I've been thinking about doing a build on a ducar for my super bronc. I bet it would easily be better than the HM80.