Tecumseh engine colours

Hello,

I'm rebuilding a Tecumseh HS50 engine. I can see different colours for these engines on Google.
Mine is black, some are white, grey or even red.

Any reason? Does it depend on the years?

Thanks for your help.

mustangfrank

Hello,

I'm rebuilding a Tecumseh HS50 engine. I can see different colours for these engines on Google.
Mine is black, some are white, grey or even red.

Any reason? Does it depend on the years?

Thanks for your help.
I think it just depended on what the company buying the engines from Tecumseh wanted on their machines. I've only seen black, white and silver factory Tecumsehs on minibikes, at least 60s and 70s bikes.

Last edited:

cfh

Exactly depends what the motor is going on. Like say MTD used silver motors a lot. Rupp used white until 1969, silver in 1970, black 1971 and later. also note Tecumseh never used high gloss paint. you see that all the time on motors that are re-done, but it's not correct. these were industrial devices so they used a slight matte finish originally. closest to gloss they got were the silver motors.

copyman

For the white Tecumseh engines I use Dupli color "Dover/Arctic white" (Autozone, Advance). It's an off white which will give the look of a vintage motor and how white paint will yellow over time. Also use 2000 degree clear coat.
This is basically my procedure for all engines, rust bath for block & removed parts if a lot of rust on engine. Then I strip paint. After lapping valves & honing cyl will give block a good bath in hot water with dawn dish soap to get rid of any residue. If really bad will use ultrasonic cleaner, Then use high temp primer, paint & clear coat. Pictures are before and after of H50 I rebuilt recently.

Attachments

also note Tecumseh never used high gloss paint. you see that all the time on motors that are re-done, but it's not correct. these were industrial devices so they used a slight matte finish originally. closest to gloss they got were the silver motors.
I would have to disagree with that. I've seen MANY original paint bikes, including NOS minibike specific engines with factory gloss paint. Both in black AND white, also in red. (Skat Kitty comes to mind)
With the exception of the Carburetor, this Bird is all original:

DaddyJohn

Since I tend to start my vintage mini builds with an incomplete rusty heap, my goal is usually to come up with a decent looking functional minibike that makes economical sense, more-so than creating a historically accurate restoration. That said, my Tec engines come off of snow blowers, and I don’t usually care to give them the full repaint. So, I usually end up with red or red/orange (Toro/Snapper/Craftsman) though sometimes off-white (Simplicity/Ariens), and black (pretty much any later model HSSK50).

copyman

For the white Tecumseh engines I use Dupli color "Dover/Arctic white" (Autozone, Advance). It's an off white which will give the look of a vintage motor and how white paint will yellow over time. Also use 2000 degree clear coat.
This is basically my procedure for all engines, rust bath for block & removed parts if a lot of rust on engine. Then I strip paint. After lapping valves & honing cyl will give block a good bath in hot water with dawn dish soap to get rid of any residue. If really bad will use ultrasonic cleaner, Then use high temp primer, paint & clear coat. Pictures are before and after of H50 I rebuilt recently.
I have since found a better paint. Now use Johnson Evinrude 1972-present white & black marine paint. Heat, oil & gas resistent. The white is not as white as the dupli-color I was using. The paint has a nice shine to it but not as much as if you used a clear coat.

Attachments