New to JCP Duster…Does this look like the original engine.

capguncowboy

That's a 70 model engine with the mini bike correct muffler. I'm not sure if it was the correct engine for your Duster, but it looks like a mini bike correct engine.

Cat wasn't very consistent with the engines they used. They were known to use different submodel versions of the same engines across the same model of bikes. They also would interchange the H30, H35 and HS40 pretty liberally within the same model runs.

FunWithStuff

Just about all of the Dusters I have seen on here have used practically the same engine (although some might have been 3.5 hp or 4 hp because they did alternate the horsepower on them through production some). The engine is the same year as the Duster (1970) and pretty much has all the period correct parts for it except the Dusters I have seen have the Taylor Spark arrestor muffler on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they put that muffler on it because they didn't have any more of the Taylor mufflers to use at the time.

Everything adds up for this being the right engine for your Duster. Especially if this was the engine that you got with it or if you found this engine while searching back at the place you found it from, because unless they had other mini bikes, I doubt this engine could belong to any machine but the Duster.

f4radar

Just about all of the Dusters I have seen on here have used practically the same engine (although some might have been 3.5 hp or 4 hp because they did alternate the horsepower on them through production some). The engine is the same year as the Duster (1970) and pretty much has all the period correct parts for it except the Dusters I have seen have the Taylor Spark arrestor muffler on it, but it wouldn't surprise me if they put that muffler on it because they didn't have any more of the Taylor mufflers to use at the time.

Everything adds up for this being the right engine for your Duster. Especially if this was the engine that you got with it or if you found this engine while searching back at the place you found it from, because unless they had other mini bikes, I doubt this engine could belong to any machine but the Duster.
Thanks for the information,,I found this h30 and a hs40 with the bike at the sale. They were selling the bike at one price and 10 dollars for the two motors...at the time I didn't know anything about dusters so I grabbed the motors hoping one was the original and by the numbers i think this h30 is. I'll go back tomorrow and look for what I know to be missing.

FunWithStuff

Thanks for the information,,I found this h30 and a hs40 with the bike at the sale. They were selling the bike at one price and 10 dollars for the two motors...at the time I didn't know anything about dusters so I grabbed the motors hoping one was the original and by the numbers i think this h30 is. I'll go back tomorrow and look for what I know to be missing.
You're very welcome! Since they were selling it, I would say it is the engine for the bike. You definitely picked up a great bike. It has many rare parts that I have had trouble finding for my Cat and is in great shape. Hope you enjoy it!

markus

Yes That is the correct engine for a later in the year 1970 Duster chopper. I rebuilt The earlier 1970 H30 for someone's Duster recently. His was a 35231G which was last of the steel tanks and a few other little things that were being revised which of course became your 35231H. And yes the Round Tecumseh muffler is correct. Taylor mufflers were not introduced until earlier part of 1971.......He insisted I use an ebay muff that is a terrible copy of one of the Taylors over his original Tecumseh 7 hole that was on it, I was not happy about it, but the one paying the bill has the final say :).

Here's how it came out, Needed a lot of lovin' inside and out!

IMG_2397.JPG

f4radar

You're very welcome! Since they were selling it, I would say it is the engine for the bike. You definitely picked up a great bike. It has many rare parts that I have had trouble finding for my Cat and is in great shape. Hope you enjoy it!
Yes That is the correct engine for a later in the year 1970 Duster chopper. I rebuilt The earlier 1970 H30 for someone's Duster recently. His was a 35231G which was last of the steel tanks and a few other little things that were being revised which of course became your 35231H. And yes the Round Tecumseh muffler is correct. Taylor mufflers were not introduced until earlier part of 1971.......He insisted I use an ebay muff that is a terrible copy of one of the Taylors over his original Tecumseh 7 hole that was on it, I was not happy about it, but the one paying the bill has the final say :).

View attachment 281321
wow you do some impressive work. What do you think of the carburetor? It looks painted lines an all. And those spring clamps, do those look as originals? I appreciate you sharing your expertise. I wonder if that 71 upfront would have anything to do with the new model year

Attachments

Last edited:

markus

wow you do some impressive work. What do you think of the carburetor? It looks painted lines an all. And those spring clamps, do those look as originals? I appreciate you sharing your expertise.
Thanks, The carb is a correct small frame H version, so I would say it probably the OG one, and the clamps like that were in use back then. If you want to verify that the carb is the correct one associated with that engine model, there are numbers stamped in the top left side, that you can cross reference (there is a link to that site in the sticky threads in the Tecumseh section), and get the part number from, which will be listed on the parts list for you engine and on the better sites also have the parts explosion for it linked to your engines model number parts list. Your missing some pieces on the throttle bellcrank and that should be addressed so you can have proper cable return.........Or you wont need the laxative cause you'll be shittin' your pants when the throttle sticks wide open :D

f4radar

Thanks, The carb is a correct small frame H version, so I would say it probably the OG one, and the clamps like that were in use back then. If you want to verify that the carb is the correct one associated with that engine model, there are numbers stamped in the top left side, that you can cross reference (there is a link to that site in the sticky threads in the Tecumseh section), and get the part number from, which will be listed on the parts list for you engine and on the better sites also have the parts explosion for it linked to your engines model number parts list. Your missing some pieces on the throttle bellcrank and that should be addressed so you can have proper cable return.........Or you wont need the laxative cause you'll be shittin' your pants when the throttle sticks wide open :D
Thanks, that first ducolac box was inadvertent butt I think I’m going to sneak it in inconspicuously in future posts. Kind of like the accidental naked lady reflection in the mirror. Did you see my edit on the last post asking about the 71 having something to do with the new model year?

f4radar

Looks like 98OJ29

Attachments

copyman

Thanks, that first ducolac box was inadvertent butt I think I’m going to sneak it in inconspicuously in future posts. Kind of like the accidental naked lady reflection in the mirror. Did you see my edit on the last post asking about the 71 having something to do with the new model year?
I thought maybe you found a new way to "clean out" the engine when I saw the box of Doculax:)

f4radar

View attachment 281321
Ha, I see that air filter is flipped high side up...more clearance for that rear tire.

markus

Ha, I see that air filter is flipped high side up...more clearance for that rear tire.
it’s the only way they fit on those this is the catalog shot I used as Reference for the rebuild:

The late/last version original paint one I had I remember marks from the hat actually making contact with the fender on it and fighting to gain as much room as I could get when I reassembled it after cleanup.

Attachments