Just built Dunecycle... I think.

Please ignore the messy shop. I'm just showing off the newest member of the fleet. I just finished putting the last touches on this trike. I think it is a Dunecycle DS-1 but I'm not sure. If anyone knows for sure what this is, feel free to let me know. The frame is freshly sand-blasted and powder coated. New seat cushions. EZ-GO Golf Cart tires with hub caps. All new controls. New dual drum brakes. New Predator 212 motor. Haven't taken it for a ride yet because of the rain, but it should go pretty good. I haven't yet decided if I'm going to keep this one or sell it next spring.

20211003_163117_HDR.jpg 20211003_163111_HDR.jpg 20211003_163101_HDR.jpg 20211003_163051.jpg

toomanytoys

Looks great!

I always wanted to do a trike for fun. Just take up so much room....I can fit 4 bikes in the spot of one of these trikes.

Nice job. Golf carts have suspensions, so those tires have stiff sidewalls. It could make for a harsh ride. But, they actually look good on there.
The tires are a bit stiff, but this is built for my mostly flat yard. And the tires were cheap. I found a used set of all 4 with rims and hubcaps for $30 on FB marketplace.

The tires are a bit stiff, but this is built for my mostly flat yard. And the tires were cheap. I found a used set of all 4 with rims and hubcaps for $30 on FB marketplace.
If you need any more, let me know. I believe I still have a few around here somewhere. I have built a couple carts, over the years.

If you need any more, let me know. I believe I still have a few around here somewhere. I have built a couple carts, over the years.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm good for now.

When I started putting this trike together, I was going to use a set of 23" lawn mower tires I have laying around, but they were too big to fit and too big for the axle. You can see one of the big tires laying on the ground in the pics. I still have two of the four ezgo tires left and I think the big tires are going to go on a solid axle go kart that I have. I might need to beef up the motor/TAV a bit for that one, though. I'm not sure the stock 212 with the 30-series can handle those. It already eats the belts with two adults on it. I'll probably just send it and then fix it if it breaks.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm good for now.

When I started putting this trike together, I was going to use a set of 23" lawn mower tires I have laying around, but they were too big to fit and too big for the axle. You can see one of the big tires laying on the ground in the pics. I still have two of the four ezgo tires left and I think the big tires are going to go on a solid axle go kart that I have. I might need to beef up the motor/TAV a bit for that one, though. I'm not sure the stock 212 with the 30-series can handle those. It already eats the belts with two adults on it. I'll probably just send it and then fix it if it breaks.
That 4X100mm bolt pattern allows for many, many options, in the wheel and tire department. Mazdas, Toyotas, Hondas and some other cars used it too. That means, allong with all the custom golf cart wheels, out there, there are hundreds of custom car wheels that will fit too.

That 4X100mm bolt pattern allows for many, many options, in the wheel and tire department. Mazdas, Toyotas, Hondas and some other cars used it too. That means, allong with all the custom golf cart wheels, out there, there are hundreds of custom car wheels that will fit too.
Yep. The Red Tri-Rod in my profile pic is even better. It has a 5 x 4 1/2" bolt pattern on the hub. I can actually get DOT approved car or trailer tires on it. I have a set of skinny donut spares with hubcaps and trim rings from the junkyard that I put on it for road use.
View media item 150618

Well, I just had my 12 year old take it for a test drive. It goes, stops, turns, etc. As suggested, the tires give a very stiff ride. I'll probably look into some squishy tires for it if we keep it. It is definitely way too short for my 6'3" frame. Even my 12 year old was folded up while riding it. Both the Tri-Rod and the MudBug we have are more comfortable. You can tell when riding that it was made as a sort of knock-off to capitalize on the success of the Alsports, MudBugs and Rupps. It just feels inferior to those.

Well, I just had my 12 year old take it for a test drive. It goes, stops, turns, etc. As suggested, the tires give a very stiff ride. I'll probably look into some squishy tires for it if we keep it. It is definitely way too short for my 6'3" frame. Even my 12 year old was folded up while riding it. Both the Tri-Rod and the MudBug we have are more comfortable. You can tell when riding that it was made as a sort of knock-off to capitalize on the success of the Alsports, MudBugs and Rupps. It just feels inferior to those.

Sounds like you did a good job with it. I have seen pictures and other references, to those straight tube trikes being stretched. It seems the preferred way is to cut the tubing, between the neck and seat, then use the next size up tubing, slid over the ends of the cut tubing, as a bridge. To me, the ones with a gusset, applied on the under side, look to be much stronger/safer.

Sounds like you did a good job with it. I have seen pictures and other references, to those straight tube trikes being stretched. It seems the preferred way is to cut the tubing, between the neck and seat, then use the next size up tubing, slid over the ends of the cut tubing, as a bridge. To me, the ones with a gusset, applied on the under side, look to be much stronger/safer.
I'm sure I could stretch it, but I don't need to. And I don't like cutting up original things in good condition. I have my Tri-Rod that is ridiculously over powered. That's my toy. Other than that one, I just like building them.

I found a Trike in my a Father in laws shed. Any idea what these may be worth? It doesn’t run, is missing air cleaner but thier is duck tape over the carb. At first glance it looks like it has a Tecumseh motor on it. I will post pictures when I get it cleaned up.

For anyone that is still following this thread, I found out that this is not a Dunecycle 100s. It is actually a Sears Dune and Trail Trike. They are so similar as to be identical except for the shape of the seat back and the grab handle on the rear of the frame. They have the same frame dimensions, same quirky design choices that I've never seen on other trikes. For instance, the only trikes I've seen that use 2-piece axle shafts on either side of the diff with the brake drums acting as a coupler are the Dunecycles and this thing. Also, instead of an axle bolt going through the middle of the front wheel with a nut on the other side, the wheel hub has threads on both sides and uses two small axle bolts to secure it. I've been owned or worked on Dunecycles, Alsports, Tri-Rods, MTD Mudbugs, and 1 nearly junked Rupp Rat. Those are features that I've only seen on this trike and other Dunecycles.

1634216167961.png