Need help with identification..

markus

That bike was made by Powerdyne in Pawtucket Rhode island. They had a bunch of different variations of bikes and models, but not a whole bunch of literature is out there to name some the variations. you will mostly see the model when searching that has the drum brake with Rupp style axle mounts, that puts the wheel behind, but you version has the Lil indian style setup inside the frame with the disc brake. There is one in the media section that is a match, but its an incomplete bike so it only verifies that version was made, no how it was actually specked out and the model number or version. Don't look anything mounted to it other than the wheels and brake, everything else is not from that particular bike:

From there you can actually search powerdyne, you come up with complete bikes, just not exactly outfitted the same, but will give you a better feel for how the bike looked, as the used Mesinger molded seats, etc..

I see, I googled Powerdyne mini bikes and they look incredibly similar.. it’s not like some super rare thing I shouldn’t touch is it? Because I’m looking to probably put a 6.5hp Predator on it, and a stage 2 kit.. any ideas to have it running as best as it can, without breaking the bank?

Triley41395

Looking at sanding and painting it, probably like an olive drab green,(I like that color a lot)
First thing I would do is power wash the whole thing, then put penatrating oil on every part. Wait a couple days and put more on,then wait a little longer before trying to disassemble it. You will be forever trying to sand it,take it to a sandblasted and make sure that the frame is solid. If the frame is good, I'd have it powder coated.

I see, I googled Powerdyne mini bikes and they look incredibly similar.. it’s not like some super rare thing I shouldn’t touch is it? Because I’m looking to probably put a 6.5hp Predator on it, and a stage 2 kit.. any ideas to have it running as best as it can, without breaking the bank?
"Without breaking the bank" is very subjective and will differ significantly from person-to-person. That is too vague- what is your budget?
Michael

Triley41395

Say $500 and under for example.. I’d like to spend less than $500
I think you'll have a hard time staying in that budget with powder coating, at the bare minimum I would have it sand blasted. It's my experience that tells me you will have a hard time getting paint to stick to that frame without blasting and some descent primer. The small stuff adds up pretty quickly, throttle, cables, nuts bolts ect. If you don't powder coat you should be able to stay around 500.00 I would think. I'm not sure where you live but tillers and snow blowers are pretty cheap where I live. If the frame is solid I'd go with the powder coated frame and find a used budget motor, you can always upgrade your engine later. No matter how you decide to go make sure you have fun.

I think you'll have a hard time staying in that budget with powder coating, at the bare minimum I would have it sand blasted. It's my experience that tells me you will have a hard time getting paint to stick to that frame without blasting and some descent primer. The small stuff adds up pretty quickly, throttle, cables, nuts bolts ect. If you don't powder coat you should be able to stay around 500.00 I would think. I'm not sure where you live but tillers and snow blowers are pretty cheap where I live. If the frame is solid I'd go with the powder coated frame and find a used budget motor, you can always upgrade your engine later. No matter how you decide to go make sure you have fun.
I can get a Predator 1.5hp for $150 right now.. and the stage 2 kit I found is about $120, comes with carb, air filter, exhaust, the gaskets and such.. will need brake and throttle cables though, gas cap, and the hoses and such..

mustangfrank

I can always upgrade later. What is the advantage of powder coating? I’m not we’ll versed in a lot of the painting aspects.
Powder coating versus paint is a well searched topic, biggest advantage is the durability of the coating. I think you'd be disappointed with the end product based on the extensive pitting of your frame tubes. There isn't a cost-effective way to "body work" the metal for a smooth surface with powder coating.

I'd get it media blasted clean and start building up coats of high-build primer for a rattle can paint job, if you take the time and don't mind the hours of sanding the end result will be worth it (and less expensive). Use a paint that is gasoline resistant or a gasoline resistant (flat) clear if you do go olive drab.

I’m not real worried if it looks showroom or not, I realize there is some limits at times of what you can achieve based on what you start with. I have a guy I can take it to who can sandblast it. What type paint would you recommend? Certain brand of rattle can paint that would be preferable? I want it to look good, but if there are minor imperfections, I’m alright. It’s not gonna be a race bike or show bike..

That frame looks really rusted.
once you get it cleaned up you can decide how to proceed.
it might be too far gone to save.
Once you clean off all the rust, the wall thickness of that tubing might get pretty thin.
But it might also be fine, a good cleaning is in order to know for sure.
just imho

That frame looks really rusted.
once you get it cleaned up you can decide how to proceed.
it might be too far gone to save.
Once you clean off all the rust, the wall thickness of that tubing might get pretty thin.
But it might also be fine, a good cleaning is in order to know for sure.
just imho
It looks much more rusted in the photo, it was in a building for the last several several years with a dirt floor, a groundhog had dug holes around it and caked dirt on it, the frame is in much better condition than it appeared in first photo. The frame feels very sturdy, Ive sat on it and messed with it, and it has no give to it at all. I will get a photo here as soon as possible, I’ve done some cleaning on it.

The motor also turns over with ease when you pull the start rope and you can hear the (I guess compression) of the motor, the whump whump whump) when you pull it. Here is since I just took a brush to it for a little bit yesterday evening..

Attachments

It looks to me like the frame may have been painted green.
Up in the front near the forks, it seems to be a yellow color, but the fenders appear white, frame has some parts that appear to be blue.. bike even has a Suzuki kill switch and Suzuki throttle.. so it’s kinda a Frankenstein I think...

Ok cool, i was wondering if it was dirt or rust. Glad to hear it is in decent shape.
Powerdynes are cool as heck, sell it to someone from Rhode Island lol

I appreciate all the help from y’all, y’all are awesome.. I’ve already gotten a lot of great ideas from this site.. planning on using original motor, buying another carb (just needing ideas about what would pair best), and re-doing the brakes and throttle cable, some new tires, new chain, and having a fun little bike.. also considering sanding down frame and doing a bedliner coat on the frame, then maybe like a bright red on fenders and some parts of motor.