easy anodizing removal larger parts???

markus

I need to remove anodizing from some larger aluminum parts, Been kinda doing some googling, Due to the size and shape of the pieces I have I dont think easy off oven cleaner would be that doable I am thinking a submerged type setup would be better. Problaby not so much something that we in the mini bike world have to deal with too much (although this is for a mini bike project). If anyone has some experience or doing a bit of that with something thats worked well and hopefully not too pricey?

Markus anodizing is a surface treatment that eats into the aluminum and forms a surface barrier to protect it from oxygen exposure. Why would you need to remove it? Sandblasting is the only safe way I know of to remove anodizing.

markus

Markus anodizing is a surface treatment that eats into the aluminum and forms a surface barrier to protect it from oxygen exposure. Why would you need to remove it? Sandblasting is the only safe way I know of to remove anodizing.
Parts need to be polished for the application.

Markus: Here is a picture of some black anodized 4" UMI Goped wheels I had some work done on. I did a bit of research on how to remove that anodizing but gave up before too long..........and, before waisting my time and possibly taking a chance of ruining these things. I was advised not to attempt removing this stuff myself so I elected to do the smart thing and sent them to an anodizing shop in Newburyport, Ma. to have this done. That same shop also polished these for me as well. You wouldn't believe how unbelievably beautiful these came out.
I don't happen to have a pic of them finished at this moment, but here they are before being cleaned. BTW, these came out so nice, I managed to find two more sets and did the same thing. The company I used for the removal is called Circle Finishing. The polishing was done by their subsidiary called (naturally, and in the same building) Circle polishing. Removal was $62 and polishing was $120.
IMG_3634.JPG

markus

Thanks everyone, will get some of the lye and mix it up as per the ration info off the BMX site and give it a shot!

Hey Markus, how are you doing? Curiosity got the better of me today and I found myself wondering how you made-out with removing that anodizing on those parts you were talking about. That said, I pulled-out a couple of those black anodized UMI 4" wheels I had done and took a quick pic. I think these came out absolutely beautiful. Since I had a total of six wheels done like this (meaning 12 halves), I was thinking of selling two complete wheels. Don't think I'll be using them; givin' my current situation. Might be asking 300 plus freight. I'll include the UMI bolts and new bearings. Anyway, hope you did okay with the home brew stuff. Here's the pic. Stay safe.

Attachments