B&S gasket questions

So I picked up some new gaskets for my 2.25 hp engine.
One is a carb to gas tank gasket.
Do I just bolt it straight on or do I also need some sort of adhesive too in addition to the gasket?

Also, I bought a new intake basket but I noticed there were TWO double stacked when I took it off.
I there a reason for the two versus one?
Will I need adhesive on these before I bolt them in place?

Thanks again for any help and have a happy and safe 4th weekend Folks.
-Doug-

Attachments

Triley41395

I can't really answer if you should use any kind of gasket sealer but I do know that the flatter the mating surfaces are the better they will seal. I would lap or flat sand all surfaces before installing new gaskets.

Minimichael

Use a thin smear of gasket sealer/maker on both sides at tank to carb...sure it's not critical to use sealant but it really helps your chances here. Then, only one gasket between carb inlet and block - not two, and I'd go with no sealant here. Triley's right, it's gotta be smooth, and clean, and snug.

Use a thin smear of gasket sealer/maker on both sides at tank to carb...sure it's not critical to use sealant but it really helps your chances here. Then, only one gasket between carb inlet and block - not two, and I'd go with no sealant here. Triley's right, it's gotta be smooth, and clean, and snug.
Thanks so much Michael. Very much appreciated. Got my original gas tank cleaned our really well using Evaporust.
Looking forward to getting it all back together.
-Doug-

If you are using a quality (OEM Briggs) carb to tank gasket no sealant whatsoever needed. If the bottom of the carb is warped where the 3 mounting holes are (very common) you should true (flatten) it or it will likely leak there. I use a feeler gauge as a straightedge and a Dremel tool with a small sanding drum. Go real easy (careful, it is aluminum) and keep checking so you do not take off too much.
Michael

If you are using a quality (OEM Briggs) carb to tank gasket no sealant whatsoever needed. If the bottom of the carb is warped where the 3 mounting holes are (very common) you should true (flatten) it or it will likely leak there. I use a feeler gauge as a straightedge and a Dremel tool with a small sanding drum. Go real easy (careful, it is aluminum) and keep checking so you do not take off too much.
Michael
Thanks Michael.

Harquebus

Also, it is a good idea to use TWO gaskets especially for that particular carb and tank. That's the Pulsa-Jet, Adjustable Jet carb (the good kind) and what typically happens is the gasket flange on the carb body warps over time (it is made out of relatively soft cast aluminum) and thus is no longer flat, nor does it seal well with just one gasket.

Some people have oiled or added some bearing grease to both sides of their paper gaskets so they can reuse them later, or make them easier to remove. I can understand the attraction because when you remove an old gasket, there's paper gasket material stuck hard to both the tank and the carb and it takes some serious scraping to remove it all. One of my major pet peeves. . . .