How would you restore these 3/8 x 16 threads

Possible to make a bushing using a 3/8 bolt, drilled and tapped for 5/16 x 24, not sure there would be enuff meat left to thread it tho?

Edit:
Wow, just compared a couple bolts, doesn't leave anything to give any holding power for a Grocery Git'r let alone a Power Shift. :confused:

Last edited:

f4radar

Possible to make a bushing using a 3/8 bolt, drilled and tapped for 5/16 x 24, not sure there would be enuff meat left to thread it tho?
I thought about that. I could take a nice hard bolt, longer than required drill it / tap it /bolt it on and then cut the head end of the bolt off. I don't think there is enough meat there but it would be cheap to find out. If it wasn't so dang hot I'd be out there giving it a go.

nightgrider

You could cut the threads off, weld a new bolt on, grind to blend it back in, and have it rechromed. But honestly it would be cheaper to just replace the stick. There are online retailer's that just sell the sticks. It is marked with what model the stick is and you can use that to get an exact replacement.

https://www.shifterdoc.com/productcart/pc/Hurst-Replacement-Shifter-Handles-Sticks-c51recorded.

Edit: hmm prices seem to have gone up a little since I was last looking, bummer.

Last edited:
Bet they put a 8 ball on it cause the t handle strips before the shaft
If its not a show car just cut and weld a stud on or cut the mess off and try to run a die down it maybe grind the chrome off but that slight coke bottle right where you need to be bothers me
If thats for a mini that automatic 3 hp

2old2care

I think I’ll get an estimate from a tool and die repair place.
You might think a new stick is not so bad a deal, once you get a quote from a machine shop !
You could just take whatever knob you're going to use, bore it out, put a 5/16" insert in it, and call it done.

OR, like Triley41395 said, weld it up, and re-tap the threads to 3/8" - But I don't think you could cut them with a lathe, as the stick is probably curved - You'd have to tap it.
It could be welded (or brazed) with TIG, and with a heat sink applied below the weld, you'd probably be able to save the chrome.

OR, the stick could be ground down and shortened a bit, if you could live with that, and new threads cut from where the good 3/8" ones start.
If you were careful, it probably wouldn't be noticeable, just a bit shorter.

You could carry out Skipp's idea to the ultimate git-er-done concept - Take the knob, fill the bore with JB Weld, and stuff it on the stick.
It would be on there until you got tired of looking at it - Just sayin'
I agree, but would recommend using Marine-Tex. A little pricey, but you’ll have it for other fixes, like fuel tank leaks.

f4radar

You know I’ve just got too much time on my hands. I can’t weld because I have a BE65D462-5F6F-4B84-952B-4F6632969E5E.jpeg 5C529CF6-7847-4E61-ABC0-E4AFB884CBD1.jpeg defibrillator implant so I’m goofing around with ox acetylene and this might work

nightgrider

Guess I got a little ahead of myself, I tend to do that. Is this going in a car/truck or is it for a mini/go kart? Or is it just a exercise in "what the heck see if I can fix it"? There are also knob adapters on eBay and other places online. Also if you aren't locked in on using a Hurst knob there are several other aftermarket knob with different threads. There are also Hurst sticks used on FB market place a lot for $50, with probably some haggle room.

Bet they put a 8 ball on it cause the t handle strips before the shaft
If its not a show car just cut and weld a stud on or cut the mess off and try to run a die down it maybe grind the chrome off but that slight coke bottle right where you need to be bothers me
If thats for a mini that automatic 3 hp
I used an 8 ball on a Hurst shifter in my nova originally, but I used a real 8 ball and drilled and tapped to match the shifter thread. But since I didn't insert the 8 ball, just tapped the resin, it eventually stripped out. So I went to a T-handle.

Attachments

2old2care

OA brazing will certainly work to fill it out enough to tap new threads - Just try to use some kind of heat sink below the threaded area or you'll cook the chrome. Bury it in a pipe full of sand, up to the threads, or something like that.
Maybe don't try to braze it all up with one go - Let it cool between.

Maybe you could use some of this stuff :
https://www.amazon.com/Uniweld-91861-Cool-Blue-Paste/dp/B011N5YH5O

f4radar

OA brazing will certainly work to fill it out enough to tap new threads - Just try to use some kind of heat sink below the threaded area or you'll cook the chrome. Bury it in a pipe full of sand, up to the threads, or something like that.
Maybe don't try to braze it all up with one go - Let it cool between.

Maybe you could use some of this stuff :
https://www.amazon.com/Uniweld-91861-Cool-Blue-Paste/dp/B011N5YH5O
Heat sink. Great idea I was worried ruining the chrome. That bolt took me two times to get the thickness and I ran the tap down it in between. The shifter is from a 66 Chevy I think it’s an exercise in goofing around at this point.