Bonanza briggs throttle

We almost have my sons Bonanza project ready to roll. We are having trouble though getting the throttle set up right. Brand new carb. I can only keep it running by manipulating the choke, and it runs at full throttle, engaging the clutch. Do I have something hooked up wrong with the governor linkage?

Also, not sure where to attach the throttle cable.

IMG_20220914_165121.jpg 20220914_162846.jpg 20220914_162850.jpg 20220914_162858.jpg

Here are some more pictures of the setup. My son will be riding this so I want to keep the governor in place. Can I hook up the throttle cable to the clamp piece (a) and through the hole (b) or should it be different?

20220919_155152.jpg

20220919_155201.jpg

Minimichael

I believe your "b" is a static throttle you'll want to bypass. I would modify the governor connection to relate only to your shiny new throttle assembly (which it appears is already connected).

Last edited:

Minimichael

Clamp here. Unconnect the part of the governor that's hooked to the static throttle. It doesn't look like your governor spring is even connected at the bottom anyway. Figure out the way that spring should be connected, or just snag it somewhere stable. Then test to see what may need to be further adjusted for proper operation.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ok, I disconnected the big spring that was linking the governor and the static throttle lever. Now the carb throttle seems to move as it should and I see where I should attach the throttle cable.

Now for the other problem, with it only running barely at full choke, then speeding up ful throttle as I ease the choke in. I just triple che ked the tightness of the carb to block screws and removed them and replaced the gasket with a brand new one. Tightened down very well. I also tightened down the carb to tank screws, and a new gasket is there too. Same problem. I have to unscrew the mix screw about 2.75 turns to get it to barely run with the choke off, and it runs hard, not as it should. Obviously the carb is running lean, but why? Brand new carb. Any help is appreciated, I am trying to get this thing running for my son before the weather turns. 20220920_162244.jpg

Minimichael

Ok, I disconnected the big spring that was linking the governor and the static throttle lever. Now the carb throttle seems to move as it should and I see where I should attach the throttle cable.

Now for the other problem, with it only running barely at full choke, then speeding up ful throttle as I ease the choke in. I just triple che ked the tightness of the carb to block screws and removed them and replaced the gasket with a brand new one. Tightened down very well. I also tightened down the carb to tank screws, and a new gasket is there too. Same problem. I have to unscrew the mix screw about 2.75 turns to get it to barely run with the choke off, and it runs hard, not as it should. Obviously the carb is running lean, but why? Brand new carb. Any help is appreciated, I am trying to get this thing running for my son before the weather turns. View attachment 294598
For choke/revving: adjust idle screw; check to ensure proper butterfly operation. The throttle/butterfly should be closing on its own when you're not giving it gas.
For lean: clean the carb jet and holes behind the mix screw? I don't care if it's a new carb. It could have castings or other crud.

Last edited:
Old Iron,
Is that an OEM Briggs carb or an aftermarket (China-Made) "look alike" unit? I suspect it is the latter. That "could" be part of the problem...
Michael

Last edited:

markus

Now for the other problem, with it only running barely at full choke, then speeding up ful throttle as I ease the choke in. I just triple che ked the tightness of the carb to block screws and removed them and replaced the gasket with a brand new one. Tightened down very well. I also tightened down the carb to tank screws, and a new gasket is there too. Same problem. I have to unscrew the mix screw about 2.75 turns to get it to barely run with the choke off, and it runs hard, not as it should. Obviously the carb is running lean, but why? Brand new carb. Any help is appreciated, I am trying to get this thing running for my son before the weather turns. View attachment 294598
Cup inside the tank that the short screen/ pickup sits in isn’t damaged is it?

If you need to choke it, it's getting too much air. Try two gaskets at the carb/tank connection. It's a common problem. Check for fuel leaks there too. Try spraying WD-40 at all the joints and connections. If it idles down, with spray, that where it is sucking air.

I'll pull the tank off later today. What should it look like?
If you have recently ran the engine, (or even pulling on the starter rope multiple times) that cup should be nearly full of fuel. If it is not, either you have got internal carb issues or a hole/leak in the cup. These China-made aftermarket carbs are kind of a hit-or-miss. I have never tried a Briggs aftermarket carb, however, of all the Tecumseh aftermarket carbs I have purchased about 50% are "duds". Either they do not run at all, do not perform correctly, or leak.
Michael

Last edited: