Shaved eyebrows

Thepaetsguy

I'm sorry, but that's not shaving eyebrows my friend. That's growing a moustache. That trough looks like it's 100 thousandths deep and now you're not going to be able to shave the head down enough to make up for the loss in compression you've just carved out.
the Pringle’s can guy :eek: hahahahahahah anyway the compression lobe is gone on the cam and if I’m not carful I’ll loose my fingers here soon. the head was lightly milled..

Minimichael

I did it to a 10hp Briggs a long time ago. Like this:

View attachment 294703 View attachment 294702

Losing compression was fine because I hung a turbo on it with EFI. Unfortunately the oil ring broke and ruined the aluminum bore before I could really turn the screws to it.
These pictures make a little more sense, and that's obviously not sloppy work or anything, but my understanding is that you just want to soften the edges around the valve seat at around the immediate skirt. The valve and valve seat profiles are directing flow into the head on an angle. What's a lower deck gonna do? Does it allow for better EFI or something? Turbo flow?

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

As I recall, I was trying to duplicate what had been done with flathead Ford engines of the 1930s which are hardly different.

Milling the head of a flathead tends to decrease flow and deck porting I think is intended to get some of the reduced flow area back between the deck and head.

Minimichael

As I recall, I was trying to duplicate what had been done with flathead Ford engines of the 1930s which are hardly different.

Milling the head of a flathead tends to decrease flow and deck porting I think is intended to get some of the reduced flow area back between the deck and head.
Aaahhh, now that also explains why I've seen this elsewhere too... Got it.